Removing Odors from Leather Purse

I just bought a 210 dollar handbag off of eBay. It is new with tags, but it sure doesn't smell new. It smells of cigarette smoke doused with perfumes. The seller won't respond on giving it back. I don't know what to do. Any ideas how to make this thing smell new again. It is a Michael Kors leather handbag and smells overwhelmingly bad. It gives me a headache to be in same room with it. Sheesh!

By Cathie

Try ZEP or Febreze. Maybe if you soak a cloth with one of these and close the purse and the cloth up in a plastic bag for several hours it will work. I absolutely hate cigarette odors.

If you paid by paypal, paypal guarantees refunds on some sales. Yours might be one of them. Check with paypal about this matter before you assume you have to keep this. Always check the refund policy of the seller before you buy anything off ebay and ask questions before you buy. Asked if the item was used by a smoker! (I sell on ebay periodically) (Better safe than sorry). I have no good ideas to remove the smells, though.

I surely hope you reported seller to ebay.

I understand wadded up newspapers remove food odor from shoes. You might try storing your handbag with newspapers inside to see if that helps. Don't forget to change the papers to clean/new ones from time to time.

I understand if you would not want to return the purse, but I'd sure report the seller. If the seller is a smoker, they may not be able to smell odors properly.

File a resolution with eBay unless it has gone over its length of time - I "won" smokey purse on 6/19/12 and must file with Resolution Center by 8/2/12.
Best of Luck

Anonymous

If you paid through PayPal they'll also help you get your money back if it isn't to late

Anonymous

If the seller did not say it was from a smoke free home and it smells of smoke. you can open a case with EBay and get your money back.