Removing Rubber Sole Shoe Marks from Hardwood Floors?

I have marks on my wood floor caused by rubber sole shoes. How do I remove them? I've tried wood cleaner but it doesn't work. We did the floors from laying them, staining and then putting a hi-gloss finish on them. I'm hesitant to use the tennis shoe trick since this is what actually caused the scuff marks. These are real wood floor stained with gloss finish. Any suggestions? How do I remove the marks?

Debbie from Marianna, FL

By pikka (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I am not sure this will work, but do believe it will do no harm. Go to local craft store if you don't have one and get a gray kneadable eraser. Tear off a piece, work it until it's warm and stretchy, and press down on marks and lift,

Or, use scotch tape and try the press and lift approach. I worked in an interior designers workshop once and we used the tape way for lifting black, greasy spots that inadvertently got on fabric. You'd be amazed.

You might try wiping with a cloth dipped and wrung out in white vinegar. If your floors are urethaned, it's plastic, and these things should't hurt. If there is a residue after the first two methods, wipe with vinegar cloth if floor was urethaned (polyurethaned).

Of course if regular varnish was used or shellac, do not use
anything alcohol or water based. Maybe one of those spongy
wall cleaner eraser things.

Best Answer

Try rubbing it with a tennis ball! At church, we have one that they cut an X in, and keep on the handle end of the broom for just that use. It won't scratch your floor, either!

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

We have linolium on our floors at work and when there is scuff marks from the girls black soled shoes, I use a dry paper towel and it comes right off. You could try this first before buying any products.

Best Answer

Try using white toothpaste (not the clear stuff). Put it on the scuff and wipe it off. For stubborn stains leave it on a little longer.

Best Answer

I've always found that a tiny spray of WD-40 on a cleaning rag (or paper towel) applied to the mark for a few secronds & then gently rubbing it away does the job. I've never hurt a floor in 30+ years of domestic residential services using this technique.

By Nola (Guest Post)

Johnson Wax makes a product, sold at Home Depot that will
work.

Try a pencil ereaser I use it on lino floors

By sharon (Guest Post)

Mr.Eraser! So easy, no scrubbing. It's also great for stove hood and appliances. I wouldn't be w/o it!

Nola, Which product made by Johnson Wax works? There are several by that company at our local Home Depot.

My problem isn't from black scuffs, mine just scuffs in the floor. Not scratches, just scuffs..
Thanks in advance for your help.

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsSeptember 7, 2008
🐰
🐛
🌻
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Rubber-Sole-Shoe-Marks-from-Hardwood-Floors.html