Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

We had a small fire in our living room - a wooden shelf smoldered for several hours and the room filled with smoke. It now smells dreadful. I have tried vacuuming the carpets, furniture and walls. Opened up windows and doors for several days. But the smell is still strong. Any ideas, please?

Sohail from UK

Answers:

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I just read on Thriftyfun! To open a small can of fresh coffee and leave it in the closed room for a few days and it should take care of the smell. I never tried this, but really trust thriftyfun. (01/25/2007)

By Margie

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I would try fresh coffee grounds, and if that doesn't work put a few bowls of baking soda around the house and leave it for quite a while. (01/25/2007)

By dotty

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Try charcoal briquettes (the Kingsford kind), just put some in a can or bowl and put in the corners of the room. It will absorb the odors. (01/25/2007)

By PICO

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I have also been told that leaving a bowl of apple cider vinegar in the room(s) affected will remove the smell. May take several days. (01/25/2007)

By jc42

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Two ways I know how to get rid of odors from fire:

1. Get a bowl of water and add white vinegar and let it stay there without anyone in the room for a few hrs.

2. Put charcoal in the room in dishes, they use it here in Florida to get rid of musty odors.

(01/26/2007)

By MaryEllen

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

The companies that do restoration after fire and floods and the repairs have special equipment to do this. Smoke odor is very hard to get out and you may need a professional. Homeowners insurance should pay for it, but you probably have a deductible so it may not be worth running through the ins. company. (01/28/2007)

By Linda

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I had a fire in my home this past year. I contacted a company on the internet BioWorld Products in Visalia, California. They have an odor eliminating product that removed all the smoke odor from my home. It worked absolutely great! I keep it on my shelf and use it for all kinds of odor when the need arises. (11/17/2008)

By rem588