Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I just had a close call at my home from a fire, just a lot of smoke damage. I live in a trailer and I have scrubbed and scrubbed and can't get the smell out. I have a 10 year old little boy that is having problems with his lungs and I really need to get this out as soon as possible, before he gets home. Thanks for your help.

By Donna from IN

Answers:

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

When my sister and her husband had a major fire in their apartment many years ago, they had a hard time removing the smoke smell from clothing, dishes, etc. Another sister who was a flight attendant came over loaded with club soda. We scrubbed everything, dishes, walls, etc. with club soda to remove the smell. It worked, too. (06/16/2010)

By ggmsmolly2

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

We had a similar fire at our house with a lot of smoke smell. A cleaning service came in and cleaned our duct work for the air and heat. They told me that was one of the major causes of smells after a fire and most people don't think of the ductwork. Baking soda can help and so does club soda (although expensive). (06/16/2010)

By ncgardener

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Try one of the smoke gel containers that you can get almost anywhere. I too had a fire and the gel helped a lot. Also if your fabric has smells use Fabreze to revive it.
Good luck! (06/18/2010)

By maphisx7

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

You will want to call a smoke and fire contractor. They rebuild after damage. You may not be able to get the smell out since it seeps into your wood, drywall, and insulation. My friends just rebuilt after a small fire and they had to hire a professional smoke and fire contractor to remove all the smoke damaged parts of the house. Sorry. (06/18/2010)

By yoder178

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

There are professional supply cleaning stores in almost any city. Ask them for suggestions.
Also, call your insurance agency and get the name of the cleaning people they use to professionally clean homes after a fire. Then maybe they can advise you of a certain product they use.

There are some really good answers below, too.

Good luck! (06/18/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Sometimes professional cleaning services have ozone machines that they use to get rid of smoke damage smells. You might contact your insurance company for a recommendation. (06/18/2010)

By tracesof