Removing a Ring That is Stuck on Your Finger

This works every time. If you can't get your ring off your finger, spray Windex all around the ring and off it will come. You'll never forget this tip after it works for you just once. Have a nice day.

By Gayl from Walpole

More Solutions

The best thing I have found to loosen or remove rings from swollen fingers due to salt or altitude is creamy hair conditioner. It works better than soap or lotion. Just squirt a bit around the ring area and twist a bit to get underneath and around your knuckles, and it will usually slide right off.

Removing Too Tight Rings

Cutting a ring off your finger will not destroy the ring. Any ring can be repaired by a competent jeweler. The ring will probably have to be cut anyway in order to make it larger.

9 Questions

Tips for removing a ring that is stuck on your finger. Post your ideas.

Answers

Best Answer

WD-40 can be used a get a stuck ring off, just give a light spray.

By IMAQT1962

Best Answer

I worked in a jewelry store and we always used Windex. If you have pulled and tugged on the ring, your finger might be swollen. Soak your hand in ice water for a while before trying the Windex.

Best Answer

Soap or cooking oil will help lubricate the ring and make it slip off easier. If your finger is swollen and the ring is firmly stuck the circulation to the finger can be restricted. If the above measures don't work most hospital emergency departments in Australia have ring cutting equipment to remove the ring before there is any lasting damage. The ring can be repaired afterwards.

Regards

Jo

Best Answer

I was given this tip by a jeweler who used this trick for pregnant women with swollen fingers before he resorted to cutting the ring off: use hemorrhoid cream! It reduces the swelling and greases up the finger so that the ring slides right off. Then just clean as usual.

By Rasalin (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Slide dental floss under the ring and wind the floss around tightly and evenly past the first knuckle. Move ring up as you wind.

Best Answer

Don't keep tugging, your finger swells. Try soap, oil, or washing up liquid.

Failing all else I've seen one of the guys in the fire station cut a ring off a child's finger, and boy, did he like the attention! Marg from England.

Best Answer

When I was a kid my Mother washed a washateria. One time we were there a lady got her hand caught in a wringer. Her fingers were swelling fast, and she could not get her ring off. One of the ladies ran grabbed a bottle of bleach and poured in on her hand. The ring came off. With out the bleach she would have probably lost her finger, we were about 30 miles to the hospital. Since then when I have a ring that hard to get off I use bleach. It has never hurt any ring. If your finger is swollen you might do as Danialle said and soak your hand in ice water first to bring down the swelling.

Answer this Question

I need to have my wedding ring repaired. However, I am unable to get it off of my finger. Any suggestions? I tried soaping it, but could only move it to the first joint. Short of having it cut off, I'm open for any ideas.

By pat from Brookfield, WI

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried butter or oil? I had one stuck on my finger and I tried that and it slid right off any way, good luck.

Best Answer

Windex, it's wierd but it works!

Best Answer

That Windex idea was a post a long long time ago. I tried it and it works. I don't always need it, but sometimes my fingers aren't the same size in the morning that they are at night. They seem to swell during the day, especially when it's hot.

Answer this Question

What is the best way to remove a too-tight ring from my finger?

By CB

Answers

Best Answer

Our local jeweler uses a spritz of Windex (or generic window cleaner) on the finger/ring. Doesn't hurt a thing & the ring comes right off! Has worked every time they've used it for me. Good luck!

Answer this Question

What do you do if a ring gets stuck on a finger? A ring got stuck on a child's finger and we wriggled and wriggled. The ring would not go past the knuckle, and if we tried to use slippery ointments, the child's finger turned blue. We are thinking of going to get the ring cut, but it might scare the child. Does anyone have other ideas that are not as painful as this? We do not want it to get serious. Do we need to go to the hospital? Thanks in advance.

By Mimi

Answers

Best Answer

A jeweler once told me to spray Windex on my finger if I couldn't get it off. Give this a try!
Terri

Best Answer

You could try to get his hand as cold as possible. Fingers tend to shrink a bit when they are cold, and you might be able to get it off that way. Another way is to try to take a long piece of waxed dental floss and get it between the ring and the finger. I can't remember the exact method of doing it with this, but I think you hold the top end of the floss, grab the bottom end and work it around and up the finger in a circular motion. Good luck!

Answer this Question

How do I get a diamond ring off my finger?

By Helen

Answers

Best Answer

Using lotion or Vaseline so you don't have to get your ring dirty will take a nickel size amount then massage on the area around your ring. Using butter can grease your ring but will easily come off. If you don't have those items in your house then using hot water and soap can lift it up a little.

Answer this Question

Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceFebruary 12, 2013
🎂
📓
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-a-Ring-That-is-Stuck-on-Your-Finger-1.html