Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

Our cat has clawed our brand new ivory leather chair, using it as a scratching post. She is banished to the outdoors for now. She has made little open flaps in the leather, a couple of 1 mm long or slightly bigger, just like open skin wounds.

I have read articles on this site about using shoe polish etc. to cover these marks, but I don't think this will work. The color is not the problem, I would just like to be able to heal these little cuts. I'm tempted to use a tiny drop of Crazy Glue on each, but I'm sure that is not the right thing to do. Help!

John from Gibsons, BC

Answers:

Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

I would recommend you call a local upholsterer or leather shop and ask them before you try anything. To prevent the kitties from scratching at it in the future, you can purchase sprays that deter them from hanging out in certain areas (like leather sofas). Read the instructions on the can and, once again, double check with the upholsterer and/or leather shop to ensure the product won't damage leather. (01/15/2008)

By LuvMyGingerKids

Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

This product looks like it will help. I haven't tried it myself though.

http://www.tearmender.com/ (01/16/2008)

By Wendy

Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

Try this site which gives repair details of these problems. Do not use glue as this can go very wrong if not done correctly. http://www.lttsolutions.net/catscratches.asp (01/26/2008)

By Leather Agony Aunt

Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

Go to www.leatherrenew.com and you can order a product that will fill small imperfections. Then you can order the dye to put over it. They are a big help at that company for the "do it yourself-ers". (03/25/2008)

By Lynn

Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

I have new leather furniture as well. My cat loved it. He made some pretty good scratches on it. I got on line and found a pretty neat solution. My cat goes outside so I knew declawing wasn't an option. I ordered these soft plastic claws that you place over your cats nails. It sounds crazy, but it works. I ordered bright green. The fake claws are so soft that your cat can jump and scratch all he wants and never scratch our furniture.

(09/26/2008)

By alewis

Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

Thanks for all the suggestions on repair. As for prevention, a cat tree liberally sprinkled with catnip helps, as does having the furniture out of the path of the speedway your cat uses to run around the house. Loud noises when cat gets on furniture very helpful, too. (12/04/2008)

By TR Beck in DC