RepairingClothing

Repairing a Rip in the Seam of a Lined Coat

I need to sew a ripped seam in a coat. However there is a lining. Should I cut open the lining to sew the seam? Then sew up the lining hole?

Ideas welcome.

Best Answer

It does appear that may be the only way to repair an outside seam rip unless you can go under the lining to reach the ripped seam.

• I have had to turn the lining almost inside out to reach an outside ripped sleeve seam but it was easier than having to repair two ripped seams.
  • If the lining is attached in such a way that you cannot reach the rip from under the lining then it does appear you would have to find a suitable spot in the lining to reach the outside rip.
  • The lining "rip" would have to be large enough for you to be able to comfortably reach and repair the outer rip.
  • I believe you should make the lining "rip" in one of the side seams so it would be easy to repair but you have to do an outside stitch on that seam.
  • Ad

• I hope you can reach under the lining to do the repair.
  • A seamstress could do the repair but repairs like this are usually expensive.

I would sew in the seam allowance of the coat to make an invisible repair without having to rip open the lining.

it really depends on how big the rip is, and how accessible the lining is. Some coats the bottom of the lining is not affixed, allowing access to the ripped area.