Repairing a Snowblower Carburetor

Category Machines
Often, a snowblower's carburetor needs repair, causing a poorly running or non-functioning machine. This is a guide about repairing a snowblower carburetor.

Does anyone know what model carburetor this is? It is a Lauson brand that was bought out by Tecumseh. I bought this snowblower used and the seller told me, he thought the snowblower was a Jacobsen. It's a single stage (smaller) snowblower with 4 curved rubber paddles and the entire body is orange plastic.

The snowblower started coughing and finally died the other day and believe it's time for a carb rebuild and can't find a kit anywhere. Here is a picture. The numbers stamped on the side of the carb are; 544 8e31 (The 544 could also be 5zz, but pretty sure, it is 544) On the inside back of the carb, (where it attaches to the manifold) are the numbers; 1091-162.

It is a Tecumseh engine and I'm guessing it to be 3 1/2 hp or less and I'm guessing it to be at least 20 years old. It worked awesome until a few days ago and I've used it about twice a week for the last 6 weeks or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steve from Blair, Nebr

Answers

By mike (Guest Post)

It looks like A lauson carburetor. And you should be able to get a kit for it at c&c Distributor.www.ccdist.com OR1-574-233-6667 I have one. I am working on now for someone, that looks just like the one you have shown in your picture.

By Wayne (Guest Post)

It's from a sears craftsman snowthrower. A lauson carburator

By detir (Guest Post)

I rebuild several of the 85-98cc Tecumseh motors for the racing community. I have found the biggest difference is the throttle plate hole location and the jetting so any of the tilson-lauson carbs will work if your up to cutting off the throttle plate and silver soldering it to a different one I have had to do this a lot.it sounds to me you have a 1500 or 1600 series Tecumseh and your right there about 3.5-5 hp depending on the porting.

Also I don't know if it will help because of carb location but I have also put several 5hp Briggs carbs on them but they are float style and have to not exceed a 15 degree slant or they will flood out your engine case. I hope some of my rambling may have helped and I am sorry for my English is not so great. Have a wonderful day.