Repairing a Window Screen

Category Miscellaneous
When you have a hole or tear in your window, you can save money by repairing it rather than buying a whole new screen. This page shows you how to fix a window screen.

This project shows how easy it is to replace a damaged or scratched window screen. The same technique can be used for most modern windows with vinyl or aluminum frames including screen doors.

Total Time: Ten Minutes

• 1 Roll screen wire ($7.00)
  • 1 Pack screen spline ($4.00)
  • 1 spline roller ($3.00)
  • 1 utility knife ($3.00)

You can find the screen wire, spline, and spline roller at any hardware store. Usually you will end up with enough for several screen replacements.

Sometimes you can reuse the spline from the existing window and save the expense of buying replacement spline.

I bought "pet proof" screen wire since I didn't want the cats to scratch it again immediately and it seems to work.

1. Remove the damaged screen from the window. Usually there are springs on one end, opposite the little black handle. Pull the handle to compress the screens and the window will pop out a little.
  2. Remove the damaged screen wire material by pulling the spline out of the frame. Tug carefully so you don't bend the frame.
  3. Lay the screen frame on top of your replacement screen.
  4. Cut out the replacement screen roughly, about an inch bigger than the frame all the way around.
  5. Lay the replacement screen wire material over the frame with the spline channel facing up.
  6. Starting at one corner lay the replacement spline in the channel and use the spline roller to push the spline firmly down into the channel. This will sandwich the replacement screen wire down into the channel holding it securely.
  7. Work your way all the way around the screen pushing the spline in firmly. The screen will gradually tighten as you go. Make sure you get the spline into the corners securely. This sometimes requires using a pencil to poke the spline down into the corner.
  8. Now cut off the excess screen wire material using the utility knife. Cut just above the spline, but be careful not to nick the spline or the screen in the center of the frame.
  9. After cutting all the way around the frame, cut the end of the spline material and make sure it is securely in the channel all the way around.
  10. The finished frame can now be re-installed in the window.

I learned this tip or hint out of desperation. We live in an old house and it has old screens that have developed holes. I tried cotton balls and duct tape but they didn't stay on for long.

If you have a hole in a screen door or window screen, you can mend it just like you mend a piece of clothing. Just stitch the hole shut using fine nylon thread or wire that matches the color of the screen.

Sew tears in a screen with clear nylon thread or dental floss.

Repair a small hole in a window screen with a dab of clear nail polish. By June S.

Videos

Fixing a damaged window screen is simple. Check out this short video and learn what tools you need to fix a broken screen.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My screens in my windows do not fit properly. Our electric bills are supposed to double by the summer. I wont be able to use my air conditioner so I have to get my windows fixed. So far, I have put weather stripping in the cracks and I have also caulked them. To me, it looks like the screens weren't made for these windows. When I bought the condominium I had the screens re-screened because they had holes in them. Any suggestions of what i can do to make them fit better?

Thank you,
Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Answers

By karna (Guest Post)

I had this problem, the man who put in the new screens said they were bent so badly (even tho it didn't look like it) that we needed new ones....and the slider screens were just put in upside down! :)