Restoring Old Cross Stitch Crafts?

Cross Stitch RoseI have a lot of older cross stitch crafts I just now found. My question is how do I get the yellow from smoking and old age without ruining the whole piece?

Thanks.

Kay from Hillsboro, Ohio

Answers

Try any wash that they advertise for delicates, especially quilts, and whatever you do, do it GENTLY, VERY CAREFULLY. Anything with any age to it can just fall apart.

By Sandy (Guest Post)

I soak fragile pieces in baking soda and vinegar. It may take a few times but it will definately take the odors out and make them white again.

Bronze Request Medal for All Time! 66 Requests

I've had great success with a mixture of baby shampoo and that bleach that doesn't fade colors. Just a little of each is all you need.

However, many of the old embroidery threads were not colorfast. Take some pieces to a craft shop, maybe they can advise you.

By Naci (Guest Post)

I received a wool cross stitch made in 1867. Its been in a old farm house, some of the stitch are gone on the bottom & Top of the picture. It appear the stitch are being ate. who should I take this antique to for repair. I live in the midwest area.

Answer this Question
Crafts Needlework Cross StitchJune 27, 2013
🎃
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Restoring-Old-Cross-Stitch-Crafts.html