Finding Cross Stitch Patterns

Category Cross Stitch
Cross stitch is a popular form of embroidery that often incorporates text and images into the overall pattern that is created using small cross stitches. This is a guide about finding cross stitch patterns.

Here are cross stitch sayings that have been submitted from our creative ThriftyFun community. Post your own favorites here.

"With the children asleep and crying now past,
Know that while days are long, the years go fast."

"Peace on Earth Begins at Home"

"Who waits outside the door, one may never know.
So tarry not, my friend, he too may have to go."

"Memories are the most cherished keepsakes."

"On my road through life, may I handle each crisis as a small bump and not a major chuckhole."

"A true friend warms you with her presence,
Trusts you with her secrets,
Remembers you in her prayers."

"There are two lasting gifts we can give our children.
One is roots, the other is wings."

"Never let go. Dreams take time."

"Housework never killed anyone.
But I'm not taking any chances."

By Sharon, KY

Favorite cross stitch saying:

"Grandparents are oldies with goodies."

By Julie

My favorite, seen a long time ago, remains:

"If a mother's place is in the home, why am I always in the car?"

By Karen

"Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow you worried about, and all is well."

By Nicole

"God blesses this kitchen - but He doesn't clean it!"

My personal fave, on my wall as a gift from my grandmother.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Gram was a real hoot sometimes.

CJ in Dallas

There are some nice sayings here. My computer is in a spare bedroom and I've decorated it with pictures of my family that I've copied and stretched across the wall. The other thing I've done is taken sayings or poems that mean something to me and made them fancy by changing the lettering or adding a design and printed them out and hung them up on my wall too. The one I like the most is:
"Work like you don't need the money,

Love like you've never been hurt, and
Dance like you do when nobody's watching."

By Pam819

"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines"

"An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys"

By Nex

My mother in law had this one hanging in her bathroom that was used for the children. And you can just imagine WHY!

By Elizabeth

"If you sprinkle when you tinkle. . .
Please be neat and wipe the seat."

"Life is for living, not just surviving"

"Sometimes you have to fall, just to remember how far from the bottom you are"

"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those doing it"

"Don't just get along, get along in style!"

"Friends come and go, you stay forever!"

By Panne

"I'm smiling because you're my sister
I'm laughing because you can't do anything about it"

By Barb

This is new to me but I love the thought....

"Don't stress about birthdays...

More candles just make life brighter!"

Just had a b-day with a big # and that is the advice my sis-in-law shared, brightened my day!

By Donna

My husband and I used to make little wooden signs and hand print sayings on them to sell at craft shows. I have several hundred that I have copied from t-shirts, hats, cross stitch, etc. and still make a few for friends that fit them.

I made one for the lady who cuts my hair:

"I'm a beautician...not a magician!"

For my daughter-in-law who is a worry wart:

"I know worrying must help because everything I worry about never happens!"

And for fishing friends:

"Work is for people who don't know how to fish"

My Dad's favorite was:

"Definition of a boat: A hole in the water that you throw money into!"

These are just a few.

By Harlean from Arkansas

"I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it."

"My wild oats have turned to shredded wheat."

"I finally got my head together, and now my body is falling apart."

"Funny, I don't remember being absentminded."

"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant."

"I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few."

"The only time the world beats a path to your door is when you're in the bathroom."

"When I'm finally holding all the right cards, everyone decides to play chess."

"It's hard to meet expenses. They're everywhere."

By thriftmeg

"If Father had been alive, Rome WOULD have been built in a day!"

By Sharon

"Friends Welcome Anytime
Relatives By Appointment Only"

By Margeth

"I could do the work of two men... but I would have to slow down"

Here are a few goodies to go with all the other wonderful sayings and a site you can go to with tons of great sayings :

"I Kiss Better Then I Cook!"

"Yesterdays's the past...
Tomorrow's the future...
Today is a gift from God...
That's why we call it the Present!"

"Life is what happens, when you have something else planned!"

And here is the site I was telling you about:

By Laura from Lakeland, Louisisana

"My home is clean enough to be healthy and messy enough to be happy."

By susanmajp

Post your favorite cross stitch sayings below.

A cross stitch decoration makes a fantastic baby shower gift that can be displayed in the new baby's room. This is a guide about making a baby shower cross stitch poem gift.

Cross Stitch

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Finding the layout for specific cross stitch patterns can prove difficult at times. This is a guide about cross stitch pattern "Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow".

An embroidery hoop set up and ready for a cross stitch project.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Cross stitch is a popular embroidery style that often incorporates poems and images into the overall pattern using small cross stitches. This is a guide about "If tears could build a stairway..." cross stitch pattern.

Cross Stitch

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking for a cross stitch verse, that starts with the line 'All to myself I think of you, think of the things we used to do...' Can anybody help me find the rest?

Kathrine from United Kingdom

Answers

I did find this on a poetry website...
"All To Myself" Author Unknown
All to myself I think of you

Think of the things we used to do

Think of the things we used to say

Think of each happy yesterday.

Sometimes I sigh, Sometimes I smile

But I keep each olden, golden while

all to myself.

http://students  roject/poems.htm

This comes from a book titled: The Dead Man's Room

In this book, it says:
The sampler with its embrodered carriage--
its colorful Victorian couple who hope or hoped
once for marriage, and its message:
All to myself I think of you
Think of the things we used to do.
Sometimes I sign, sometimes I smile
But I keep each olden, golden while
All to myself.

"All To Myself" Author Unknown
All to myself I think of you
Think of the things we used to do
Think of the things we used to say
Think of each happy yesterday.
Somtimes I sigh, Somtimes I smile
But I keep each olden, golden while
all to myself.

All to myself I think of you.
Think of the things we used to do.
Think of the things we used to say.
Think of each happy yesterday.
Sometimes I sigh, sometimes I smile.
But I keep each olden, golden while
all to myself.

I am looking for a cross stitch pattern of a teacup. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Leona from St. Paul, Alberta

Answers

I'm not sure if there's a teacup pattern at this site....but all of the patterns are free and they've also got other links for more free cross stitch patterns. Hope you find one!

http://www.free  /xspatterns2.htm

You might try this website. Hundreds of patterns all free. You have to register but there are no fees.

Click here: FreePatterns.com - Join Now
http://www.free  ml?source=021FRP

Free patterns for Knitting, Crochet, Quilting and more, just for signing up.

I don't have a cross-stitch pattern for you, but for teacup lovers, there's a great knitting pattern for actual teacups and saucers in "Unexpected Knitting," a beautiful book by Debbie New, Schoolhouse Press, Pittsville, WI, 2003. Her book is filled with new, very creative knitting techniques and patterns.

www.DMC-USA.com has free patterns. There is one that is of three teacups but you could just seperate and use the one you want.

Why not make your own pattern?

One method I can think of would be to take a photo and get it into the computer. Then reduce the size so that the pixels become big compared to the whole picture (just like the boxes on a cross-stitch pattern). and reduce the number of colours to a more manageable number (one that you can match with yarn that you already own). Then you may need to remove some uneven bits and just generally smooth the whole thing out a bit. Then you could combine it with a border from some other pattern (or make your own).

I am looking for a cross stitch pattern for the saying: "to you they are animals." or "If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture." I hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

By Susan from GA

Does anyone have a cross stitch pattern with the following saying:

Dance as though no one is watching you.
Love as though you have never been hurt.
Sing as though no one can hear you.
Live as though Heaven is on earth.

Thanks.

By BarbaraM 1975 from San Jose del Cabo, BCS

Answers

While doing some searches to help you out i came across this really cool site. As long as you have adobe to read a pdf file this is a cool site.you pick what kind of cross stitch lettering you want to use on the right then type in what you want to say, I used your saying then it creates it in a pattern.it is very neat!here is the website! http://www.cros  om/fontform.html

I'm looking for a cross stitch pattern for a newborn baby girl. I'd like to have bears, balloons, or any cute baby design for the top of the picture. I'd like to stitch her name, birthdate, weight, and length under the design.

By jmju from MN

Answers

Here's a nice looking site that has quite a few things on it.

www.allcrafts.net/needle

These came out of "Basic Alphabets" by Alma Lynne. I used a 40% coupon at Michael's for the book. You can also go to your local library...I'm sure they will have several books to get ideas from. God Bless.

Just change the colors to three different shades of pink

Has anyone seen a cross stitch pattern or print anywhere with the saying "Having children is like being pecked to death by a duck"? A friend and I saw a print at a craft fair a year or so ago and we would like to see if we can get them. I really don't care if they are cross stitch or whatever. I just really would like to get the saying in print. I would like it to be sort of primitive/folk art looking. Thank you.

By Donnacus from Modena, NY

Answers

Could you just print the saying off the computer?

Anonymous

I have seen cross stitch books with various kinds of alphabets in them, so if you can't find the pattern you want, you might consider making your own.

How about:
http://www.ogun  d-attitudes.html

or http://www.amer  -p/rpmm2778p.htm

Hope that helps! Cathy

Do you have a pattern for the poem "I'm rocking my baby"?

Katie from Saffell, AR

Answers

I hope my children look back on today,
And see a Mother who had time to play!
Children grow up while you're not looking,
There'll be years ahead for cleaning and cooking,
So quiet now, cobwebs; dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
unknown author

I also found this:
...The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

from "Song for a Fifth Child" by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Leisure Arts put out a leaflet with a cross stitch sampler with this poem on it. It has mother in a rocking chair rocking a baby in the lower left corner. Check their website or email me, I will try and dig it up from my stash for u.

I completed this particular kit when my nephew was born. That was 33 years ago. He has just recently become a new daddy and I would really appreciate locating this pattern so that I can make another one for his precious new daughter. Can anyone help me?

By Carol

Does anyone have the state counted cross stitch patterns for Virginia and Maryland which were designed by Betty Haddad Shelton and distributed by Janlynn? I have made 6 of them and another military move is on the horizon.
Thanks!

By Kathy from TX

Looking for the pattern kit or pattern of "Babies Don't Keep". Help.

Sheila D.

I'm looking for a cross-stitch pattern with an exasperated looking woman, a fairy godmother, and the saying "I've had it with reality, where's my fairy godmother?"

Gwen from Elizabethtown, KY

Answers

Did you try ebay yet? It'd be a start. I know that many cross stitch patterns are auctioned off.

Try the website, 123stitch.com. It has a forum and the people there may be able to help you. It is my favorite cross stich site!
Mara

I am looking for a "Now I lay me down to sleep" children's prayer cross stitch kit that my mother made me when I was born. It was either bought at Leewards or Mary Maxim. It is pink with farm animals. It must be the stamped kind, as I cannot complete the counted kind. It is about 8x10. Please help.

Thanks!
Julie from Orlando, FL

Answers

Try stores like Walmart or even your craft stores as I have seen them before good luck

one place to check that also has other good links is http://www.free  ernsonline.com/. it's pretty hard to find the stamped ones these days, but you could get someone to transfer the design to the fabric with a thin marker for you. good luck!

I have a ditto of some cross stitch patterns from several years ago. These are small, maybe 30/40 patterns for "feed bags" with flour, salt, sugar, coffee, horse feed on them. I only have 7 of the patterns, and am trying to figure out where the patterns came from. Do these sound familiar to anyone?

By Chris

I'm looking for the pattern "The Old Well of UNC.

By Linda

Does anyone know who the designer of a stamped cross stitch pattern kit called, " I Hope My Children Look Back on Today" was? I have been trying to find this out for awhile with no luck.

By Kate R.

I'm looking for a cross-stitch pattern of a Swedish hymn "Children of the Heavenly Father" in Swedish with the musical notes. Any suggestions?

By Brenda

I am looking for several cross stitch school bus patterns. I hope you can help. Thanks.

Barbara

I would like to find Anne Fitzgerald's "Dear God Kids" cross-stitch pattern book #5086. I have some of the patterns, but not all of them. Is there anyway I can purchase this book again? Thank you.

Connie

I'm looking for a cross stitch pattern that has a wine theme (like a glass of wine with some grapes and/or cheese and crackers, etc. next to the glass of wine. Thanks.

I want to buy a program that will enable me to design my own cross-stitch patterns. I wonder if anyone out there has tried any of those available, and if they have any advice for me. Many thanks.

Ann M. from RI

Answers

This isn't an answer about computer software for cross stitch, but a helpful suggestion for all you "Cross-Stitchers" out there. When looking for computer software, books or patterns for cross stitch don't only search in the "Cross stitch" area also look at patterns made for Bead Loom's, Rug Hooking & Fair Isle style of Knitting Designs & also designs created for knitting machines too! (You can NOT use designs for the "Peyote Stitch" style of beading as these grids are stacked like "Bricks") When I used to make things on a bead loom, I would sometimes get my patterns from Cross Stitch books. Of course you won't have the exact number of the floss color needed, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the difference between dark, medium & light green or other colors in a pattern. So live a little & let your imagination run wild!

If you cross stitch so seldom you see no need to buy software, here's a way to change a photo into cross stitch. If it's day time you can use your window or simply turn your TV to a channel where there is no picture (or use a lightbox) then set you photo down & put your graph paper over it & copy the main outlines. I, myself like to use side views of birds & animals. Once I had a friend draw a side view of an appaloosa horse rearing up, I then copied this onto graph paper by tracing over it with a piece of small-grid graph paper, then beaded a tiny detailed pouch style necklace with a tiny appaloosa on it. Graph paper comes in all sizes & if you can't find a piece large enough, you can tape them together or even print your own graph paper to make cross stitch & other kinds of patterns. Here's several links:

HERE'S A VIRTUAL BEAD LOOM:
http://www.rpi.  rvw/vlintro.html

PRINT YOUR OWN FREE GRAPH PAPER (many sizes & styles)
http://www.thep  _paper_print.php

http://www.math  /graph_paper.htm

http://www.prin  egraphpaper.com/

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

ASYMMETRIC GRAPH PAPER:
http://incompet  aper/asymmetric/

I'm looking for a set of four trees depicting the four seasons to cross stitch. Does anyone have patterns they'd be willing to share. I had no idea something as "every day" as trees would be so hard to find.

Thanks in advance.

By Marian

Answers

See if this is what you're looking for!
http://www.will  ry=&old_pg=7

When searching for something like this, use Google and type in what you are searching for like this.....

Four+Seasons+Trees+Cross Stitch
Add a plus sign in between each word. It will search put every word together instead of just hitting on the most common thing found. I hope this helps and you've found what you're looking for!

Looking for a Leisure Arts magazine late 90's I think that has a collection called Main Street U.S.A. It had E.B.'s General Merchandise in one issue. In the September issue it had U.S.A. Barbershop, and in the November issue was Juell's Antiques. I need a copy of the barbershop pattern as my grandfather was a barber and I would like to do this one for him. Hope someone has old issues lying around that can help me. I have the number to contact Leisure Art. About it.
Thanks
Donna K

Answers

Donna: Are you still looking for 'Juell's Antiques'?
If so, please send me and email to 'name@mp3rock.com' replacing 'name' with 'no8do', and I will sed you the pattern.
The magazine was 'For the Love of Cross Stitch' (Leisure Arts), november 1990. The files an sizes are as follow:
Juell's Antiques - foto - pic.jpg - 435 kb
Juell's Antiques 01.gif - 673 kb
Juell's Antiques 02.gif - 627 kb
Juell's Antiques 03.gif - 443 kb
Juell's Antiques 04.gif - 420 kb
Juell's Antiques hilos - key.gif - 160 kb
Best Regards and Merry Christmas from Madrid(Spain).
Miguel G.

I'm looking for a counted cross stitch pattern of anything to do with the sport of bowling, pins, ball, etc. Does anyone know where I can find one? I would like to get a downloaded one online if possible. Thank you.

Looking for cross stitch pattern "All To Myself". It has a buggy and horse on top and a woman sitting near a small table on bottom with the saying in middle.

By Sally B.

I'm hoping someone has a cross stitch pattern for "Thomas The Train", because my grandson's name is Tommy and he's crazy about trains. Thank you.

I am looking for the cross stitch pattern "rocking my baby".

By maria343 from Berwyn, IL