Retaining Medicaid Health Coverage When Moving

My nephew who just turned 18 and is in school receives Social Security since my brother passed. He is on AHCCCS/Medicaid health coverage in Arizona. He wants to finish school in Iowa. He is diabetic type one and has an insulin pump. How do I transfer his insurance so he doesn't have a gap or lose it? Does his Social Security count against him if he moves to Iowa? I don't want him to lose it. He will be a full time student living with my daughter.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

If he is 18 he is considered an adult and he needs to do this, due to the hipa laws. If his is not able, then the person who has his guardinship would do it. Once he moves, his coverage in AZ will stop and he will need to reapply in IA. Legally he an not keep it from one state to another if he moves. I work with insurance daily in my job. He needs to go ahead and call IA now or check out their website to see what is involved.

Best Answer

If your nephew has already graduated from high school, his Social Security Survivor's benefits end at graduation/18 years or 19 years if he is still in high school. SS Survivor's benefits do not continue for college. Your nephew should contact the SS office to confirm his school situation and moving plans.

Best Answer

Has SS qualified your nephew as disabled?

If not, then his SS benefits will stop at either 18 or 19 years of age according to when he finishes high school - but not past 19.

If he plans to move, it would be a good idea for whoever is his guardian (or himself) to check out what type of medical insurance is available at the new location. His new school should be able to help with that.

In any case, he will have to reapply and be accepted just as he did in the beginning. Every state is different with Medicaid provisions.