Reusing Plastic Laundry Detergent Bottles

To organize cleaning tools, gardening tools, and small household tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.), clean out an old plastic laundry detergent bottle. With a utility knife, cut off the top of the bottle even with the bottom of the handle, leaving handle intact. This allows full open access for storage. I just grab the handle and go.

By Kay from West Babylon, NY

By B.Thom (Guest Post)
Top Comment

If it has a handle:

1. Turn it on its side and cut a slit on top. Put empty thread spools on bottom and cut triangles for ears. Bang, you have a piggy bank.

2. Cut it an angle. Bang, you have a scoop or mini-shovel.

3. Cut a square or large circle. Bang, you got a bird feeder.

4. Fill one for extra gas in your vehicle.

5. Cut a big hole in the side. Bang, you got a clothespin holder.

6. Put water in it for auto or vehicle.

7. Challenge your kids to make something, winners get pizzas.

8. If you have a boat, fill it with sand for an extra anchor.

9. Latch serveral together by the necks and you have a small water float.

10. If they are long (like soda bottles) paint them white. You have 10 and a ball. Bang, you got bowling.

Anonymous

Using a non-approved container for storing gas is against the law in most states. It is also against the law to fill a non-approved container with gasoline at all filling stations.

There are signs which warn against doing so. If you are caught there is often a significant fine.

Do NOT use for gasoline! Extremely unsafe: gas is a solvent and eats through this type of plastic, and gas must be vented as fumes build up.

By Diane (Guest Post)

Well, what I do is refill mine. I buy big jugs at Warehouse stores and refill the smaller jugs which are easier for me to handle. Then I just recycle the big jugs.

I bet you could clean them out, soak the label off and use them to water plants. Or cut the upper part off, leaving the handle on, and use it to carry around small gardening tools. They actually have some nice bright colors so it would be easy to spot.

This is an amazing idea! I usually use a cardboard box when I'm working out of the house, but this is so much more practical!

Thanks for posting.

Excellent idea and a better use for these bottles than some I've seen. Reusing them also means one (or more) fewer plastic bottles in landfills.

This is what you should do with any empty plastic containers. Take them to a recycling center or if your town has a recycle pickup put them there. Here is why. You may think by reusing them you are saving someway but you are not. When you put them into a recycling place they are melted down and reused to make more bottles. When you save them the bottle plants have to get resources from the earth. Recycling doesn't necessarily mean YOU have to recycle the items. It means let the manufacturers reuse them so they don't have to use more petroleum or whatever it is made from.

Since I started making my own laundry detergent, this is not an issue. But so many things are packaged in plastic these days, whenever I need any kind of 'holder' I look to my recycle bin before making a purchase. I have cut bottoms off and used them to hold all sorts of items. Salvaging the handle and cutting a hole in the side I have used them as containers for recycling smaller items like batteries.

I make sure to always have a good set if craft scissors that can cut them the way I want them. Remember, when cutting down on waste the first step is purchasing items in packages that are easy on the environment. The laundry detergent I make takes about 15 minutes and yields enough for about a 6 month to one year supply. AND costs less than even one bottle of store purchased laundry detergent.

🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-10 13:57:08 in 976 msecs. ⛅️️