Rice Making Tips

Tips for making rice. Plain white rice as well as other variations. Post your ideas.

Answers:

More Flavorful Rice

Next time you make rice, try adding some flavor by substituting chicken or beef broth for the water.

By Robin (02/20/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Rice Making Tips

Making rice is easy: 2 parts water, 1 part white rice. Bring the water to a boil, add the rice, put on the lid, and simmer for 12-14 minutes. If you have a little extra time, leave the lid on the pot after turning off the heat for some extra steaming. I also always use long grain rice. (02/21/2005)

By

Rice Making Tips

I hate my rice cooked on the stove! It's either dry or too gummy or something is always wrong with it. I had a rice cooker, but it always scorched on the bottom and was a pain in the rear to clean. My old Hitachi bread machine had a rice cycle on it that made perfect rice every time. Then it bit the dust. When I got my new bread machine, I tried cooking rice on the 'bake only' cycle and it worked great! I had to cover the pan with tinfoil (my Hitachi had a pan cover especially for this) and take out the paddle, but woohoo, I was back in the good rice cooking business again! I use the 2 to 1 ratio just like cooking normal rice. I love it and the pan just wipes clean. Now I no longer dread making rice and don't have to time it or babysit it while it's cooking. (03/08/2005)

By Susan M.

Rice Making Tips

I learned to cook rice in the Mediterranean fashion. I'm good at it. The chaotic frustrations of being a mom, work deadlines, blaring TV and constant struggle of friends and family simply makes for bad cooking sometimes. I cooked rice on the stove for more than 16 years.

INVEST IN A RICE COOKER! I'll never go back *grin

(08/18/2005)

Rice Making Tips

I lean towards investment cooking. I'll buy a bunch of ground beef, onions, peppers. I'll make a spaghetti sauce, tacos, stuffed peppers or manicotti. I'll dice up a bunch of the peppers and onions, some celery saute and divide. Some for the spag sauce, some for the tacos, some for the meat filler manacotti, and some for future rice use. I'll saute it all in chicken stock instead of oil. The extra stock gets frozen in ziplock bags, as does the extra onion, pepper, celery mix. When I want to make a nice quick rice for dinner, I'll microwave some white rice with the frozen chicken stock, then add the frozen sauteed veggies. Serve with chicken, beef or pork. MMM. And, that extra peppers and celery don't go in the garbage. I live alone so it helps a lot. Makes me eat healthier. (01/23/2006)

By Tara