Robin's Nest Fell Down

I am so excited. I have just seen a robin building a nest on my porch ceiling. She does a little dance after she puts the twigs and grass in. I wonder why? She spreads her wings and then does a complete turn while bobbing up and down. There are no eggs in there yet. We had a bad storm last night and it knocked out the nest. There are no eggs on the floor. Any ideas on why? Thank you.

Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Robin's Nest Fell Down

The female robin is probably trying to attract a male. (04/22/2008)

By MCW

Robin's Nest Fell Down

MCW is probably right about the mating dance. Robins will often abandon a nest if something disrupts it, like getting knockned down. But probably she felt there's too much traffic on the porch, they like privacy when nesting. (04/22/2008)

By perfume and powder

Robin's Nest Fell Down

Sandy here. There is no traffic on the porch at all. The nest didn't fall down. It just kinda came apart during the storm. I have watched her build it back up for the last 3 days. This am I saw 2 robins on the porch. They didn't go up to the nest. I hope they come back. (04/23/2008)

By sandy63

Robin's Nest Fell Down

She may even be doing that dance to shape the nest. Usually the males are the ones who do the attracting maneuvers. Since the nest fell, it will probably be abandoned as location has proved too exposed to the elements. Also may be a young female who is inexperienced in nest building. The female will not lay eggs until she has mated. She was probably preparing the nest before laying. Did you see a male around? (04/23/2008)

By thriftmeg

RE: Robin's Nest Fell Down