Rosemary Dish Soap

I am trying to eliminate unwanted toxins and chemicals from our home. I decided to begin with products that we use and breathe in on a daily basis and go from there. Since dishes are being washed 24-7 by yours truly, it seemed like a logical thing to tackle next. Plus I was all out, I needed it.

This is easy to make and much less expensive than the all natural type products available at health food stores. Not only that, and much more importantly, it works really well! I tried making dish soap a long time ago and was very unhappy. But this recipe lathers wonderfully. I plan on getting one of those cute Mason jars with a pump, till then, my old plastic bottle will do. Hope you enjoy trying your hand at this!

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: About 1 1/2 cups

Source: Pinterest inspired

1. Begin by grating your bar soap. I chose Ivory because it is pretty pure and free of dyes and artificial perfumes. Store the remaining soap in an airtight container, clearly labeled, for future batches.
  2. In a large bowl, add your castile soap, baking soda, bar soap and oil. I added 38 drops. You may want to add less. I really enjoy the strong smell. I like the whole kitchen to smell of rosemary when I'm washing dishes. You may want to use only half the amount of drops.
  3. Pour your hot water slowly over your mixture, whisking gently.
  4. I ended up transferring the mixture to a small pot and gently whisking over medium heat for only about 2 minutes in order to melt the remaining soap bits.
  5. Pour back into your bowl and allow to cool for about an hour. Using a funnel, transfer to your container.
  6. Enjoy! Don't be fooled by how "watery" this is. It lathers very well and a little goes a long way!

I bet this must smell lovely!