General AdviceLegal

SSI for Dependent Student

My son is 19 and in high school. He will be attending college after he graduates. His father passed away 2 weeks ago. Is he entitled to draw SSI?


By Donetta M.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

May 7, 20130 found this helpful

SSI is for disabled people. Your son should be able to draw survivor's benefits. Check at your local Social Security Office to see what you can find out.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 8, 20130 found this helpful

I think your son will be able to sign up and receive Social Security as a dependent til he turns 23 as long as he stays in college. Call Social Security office in your area and they can advise you and your son.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 9, 20130 found this helpful

Call your local Social Security office ASAP! The sooner the better! Whether or not he is eligible, if he is eligible for any assistance, it is based on the application date, not the date of the qualifying event (father's death).


Good luck, and my condolences for your loss.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMay 7, 2013
Summer Ideas!
Pest Control
Fourth of July Ideas!
Father's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/05/17 22:19:14 in 536 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!