Salt Spout Mason Jar

Don't throw that empty salt container away. You can remove the top with the spout and cut it down to fit inside a mason jar ring! Now you can put all kind of things in the jar and easily pour out the amount you want.

Total Time: 10 minutes

1. Using a box knife, carefully cut the top off the salt container.
  2. Trace around the top of the mason jar with a pencil.
  3. Using the knife (or scissors), cut out the traced circle. Trim to fit, if necessary.
  4. Put the spout piece on top of the jar and screw on the mason jar ring. Now fill it with whatever you want. (For example: bulk salt, sugar, bulk seasonings, glitter, beads, etc.)

So thoughtful!

Wow, this is a really great tip-I live in the UK and finding a reasonably priced sugar dispenser like the one I had in the US has been impossible.

But I do have a jar, lid, and an empty Morton's Salt container (thank-you American Store in Edinburgh for stocking Morton's iodised salt!) so in a few hours I'm finally going to have a proper sugar dispenser again, Yea!

What a fantastic idea! Thanks for the tip!

It never seems to amaze me of the ideas and shortcuts my thriftyfun friends come up with. I save all kinds of gars and lids but I'd never think of saving part of a salt box.

Thanks for much for this tip, It can be used for so many more things that salt. My mind is racing as to what other things I can do with it.

Brilliant! This is why I love subscribing to ThriftyFun!

Great idea! I'm definitely going to do this as soon as my salt container is empty. I'm going to tape a note on the container to remind me. It may be a while before it's empty. We don't use a lot of salt.

For best results dip the cardboard cut-out from the salt box in spar varnish or any good, waterproof varnish. Even spray on varnish works. You will have to wiggle the spout a bit while the varnish is setting up, so that it does not lock. When I was living in the bush in the Yukon I even used pasta sauce jars with screw top caps, marked and poked a hole into the lid and then glued one of my varnished cardboard toppers onto the screw-on cap.

No need to buy expensive mason jars for that.

Of course plastic topped salt containers work too. Just poke a hole into the screw-on cap, and glue the plastic top onto it.
Have FUN!
DearWebby