Saving Money on Parking

Category Helpful Hints
You may have to do a bit more walking, but there are ways to save on parking fees. This guide is about saving money on parking.

I live in Los Angeles county where automobiles are simply part of the culture. Los Angeles is expansive, a sprawling metropolis, and owning a car is essential and as common as owning a hair brush. There are many challenges to driving in L.A., including bumper to bumper traffic, navigating the city, one-way streets, gas prices (one of the highest in the country), road rage and most frustrating of all parking.

If you are fortunate enough to find a sacred parking space, you are probably paying a king's ransom. Most average no frill restaurants in L.A. offers valet parking in their parking lot. This is where I draw the line. If I am going to patronize your business, I feel I should expect to be offered free parking. I am happy to park my own car, but this is not the case in L.A. where you must pay to park.

I do enjoy eating out, but do not want to pay between $5.00 and $7.50 to park, therefore I find parking maybe a block or 2 away and just walk to my destination. It is good exercise after a heavy meal and that is money saved for another meal out or something else. Added up in a year, on an average I eat out twice a week, I have saved between $480.00 and $720.00 per year by not paying valet and parking lot costs.

By Cathy from California

Sam went to court and received a fine for parking his car in a "No Parking" zone.

"Do you have anything to say?" asked the Judge.

"Yes," he replied, "They shouldn't put up such misleading notices."

"What do you mean?" the Judge asked.

"The sign said, "Fine for Parking Here."

By Terri H.