Saving Money on Rice

Saving Money on Rice, Rice Spilling out of Burlap Sack
Rice is a staple in many homes, so saving money when buying it can help the grocery budget. This is a guide about saving money on rice.

My husband is a rice lover. So when we cook rice, we will cook the entire bag, usually a 2 lb bag. What we don't use for that particular meal, we store in sandwich bags. I get the sandwich bags from the dollar store. We can usually get 6 to 8 bags of rice, and the leftovers are stored in the freezer. I don't have to freeze a whole bag of rice. Since it is just me and my husband, this makes it easier for meal preparation. Plus I am saving money by using the dollar store brand.

Tips for saving money on rice from the ThriftyFun community.

Use a Mixture of Brown and White

I have a weakness to white jasmine rice. Yep, normally a bowl with a dab of spray butter and salt will do. I never wanted to admit that I should and would eat brown rice until I tried a sushi roll made with brown rice and white sesamee seeds.

Usually brown rice is much more expensive since it's healthier for you. I now make my batches of rice with a combination of rices like brown, Jasmine and Basmati. Rice doesnt have to be expensive and I am learning to make the healthier step in my weakness as well.

By Daphna101

Freeze Leftover Rice

I use a rice cooker and often have leftover rice. Rather than throw it away, I do what my old Japanese roommate used to do, freeze it! Place leftover cooked rice in plastic wrap or a ziploc baggie and put it in the freezer. It will keep for a long time and only need a few seconds in the microwave to heat up. Tastes great after being frozen.

Tip - freeze in individual serving sizes for a quick lunch. Add some frozen veggies and sauce and voila!

By Carrie from Yakima, WA

Invest In a Rice Cooker

I used to always mess up my rice when I would make it on the stove. Either it would be soupy and raw, or it would be mushy and stuck to the bottom of the pan. This was a waste of time and money. Rather than buying the less nutritious, more expensive boxed minute rice, I got a small rice cooker. It is extremely easy to use and I have never messed up rice since. The only trick is that you always start your rice FIRST, before doing any other prep work. If you are cooking wild or brown rice, it might take longer but it is cheap and oh-so-good!

Another tip is to buy rice from the bulk foods section of your grocery store. This is great for getting a small amount of a specific type of rice for a recipe. That way, you don't pay the hefty prices for the small packages and aren't stuck with a large quantity to store. I do this with pastas too.

By Jess

Rice Cakes

One of my favorite things to do with rice (my kid's favorite, too) is to make rice cakes: 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. flour for every 1 cup of rice, then add whatever is leftover: meat, veggies, and a nice handful of cheese! Stir together, it will slightly stick together. Fry in a little butter or butter-spray, golden on both sides! Great way to use up the bits of leftovers, very versatile.

By KLJohn

Stir-Fry

One way to save money on rice is to use it all. Stir-fry recipes are a great way to use leftover rice. For a list of stir-fry recipes on ThriftFun visit the link below.

By LS

Buy in Bulk

Warehouse stores are a great place to buy rice bulk, but most people know about that. Another great place to look for rice in bulk is Asian grocers. They tend to have good prices on 20 lb. bags of rice.

By LS

Leftover rice too dry? Put it in a ziplock bag, add water, seal, shake, and microwave. Tastes moist and fresh!

By Amyrojo5903 from Wetumpka, AL