Scavenger Hunt Ideas

Category Games
Planning a scavenger hunt or a party, holiday get together, or other event is great fun and can be tailored for the ages of the participants. This is a guide about scavenger hunt ideas.

For an cheap birthday party for pre-teen or any older child, have a scavenger hunt at the mall. Make a list of odd thing such as Alyssa's Dad's favorite cologne or a mannequin with red shoes. Each group of children and an adult must have a digital camera and take a picture of what they found. The group with the most items win.

As a treat, eat pizza at the mall. You can compare pictures and no clean up. Most stores are willing to go along so are a lot of customers and the kids have a great time. We did this with a small group and the kids had a great time.

By Marilyn from Lewisburg, TN

When you are 13, it's really hard to decide what kind of party to have. So I went online for really cool teen party ideas. This was for my 12th birthday but I wanted a teen party even though I wasn't a teen yet. I found a mall scavenger hunt. You go around the different stores in the mall and find the item on the list and take a picture of it. I had my heart set on that, but my mom said it's too expensive because I wanted the group winners to get $20 each. That's $60 - $80 for a group of 3 - 4 people. Then my aunt found a way that I can still have a scavenger hunt, but not in the mall. I thought to myself "What kind of party can be better than my idea." It was way better!

Instead of a scavenger hunt at the mall, it was a scavenger hunt around the city! Everyone met at my house. My aunt bought four different colors of bandanas. She bought about 15 total for maybe 12 girls. We had blue, red, orange, and American Flag bandanas for the teams. Outside were 4-5 different cars waiting for all the teams. Since I had so many girls, there were lots of chaperones. I had my mom, dad, and three of my aunts driving. One of my aunts made a list of things we had to do around town. We did stuff at gas stations, fire departments, KFC, we even had to stand on a 10 foot billboard and jump down! Of course we had the chaperones catch us when we jumped.

Unfortunately the team that finished first didn't get a prize, but everyone had a blast. When we got home, we had Pizza Hut pizza and a cake. A few people had to leave after that but the remaining girls and I spent the night. We watched movies, stayed up until 3:00 a.m. It was great!

In the morning, all of the girls were telling me what a rocking party it was and my party was the best party I have ever thrown before. It was a huge success! One of my friends pulled me off to the side and said "To be honest, I kinda thought this was going to be a little kid's party, because that is the the kind of party a kid would have. But when we started going and just the thrill of the whole thing, I instantly changed my mind and thought this is the best party I have ever been to.

My tip to you would be to have many responsible adults at your party, if you are having 10-15 girls over like I did. Other than that, party on!

Here is an easy, free idea for your next party, a digital scavenger hunt. It is great for all ages and has the added benefit of providing a great mix of entertaining family memory photos.

All you need are 2-3 digital cameras and a computer to download them for quick viewing. Divide your group into teams. Each team is given a scavenger list and a time limit.

Our point system, is one point for a photo, extra points if multiple team members were in the picture. This encouraged more variety and great family photos. If your family has a computer person, loading should be smooth. We ended up voting by applause and didn't add the points.

Put cousins, aunts, and uncles in mixed groups. You will be impressed with the team spirit and creativity. At a later date, the photos can be edited and put in a collage, scrapbook, or slideshow to share with each family.

This list was created knowing the teams would be inside and outside in the yard, using a few planted props as needed. Here is a sample from our list:

You can imagine the funny photos, and will enjoy watching the thought process as young and old try to outdo each other. With three teams, you could end of with over a 100 family photos in 30 minutes! Have fun.

By Colleen from Buffalo, MN

I'm planning a family night scavenger hunt for my son-in-law and granddaughter's birthday. I'm looking for clues for indoor hiding. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

By terri from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

Hmm. I remember a game my sister and I used to play called Find The Spot. We had a 2 inch diameter brown spot cut from an old paper bag. We would place it somewhere in a room in an obvious location and the other person had to find it. You would be surprised how hard something like that can be to find. Anyway, if you found a brown paper bag you could cut out a spot and make that one of your scavenger items. Just thought for a clue you could say "X marks the spot" and put an X on the cut out.

Another clue "You make deposits but seldom make withdrawals" put a quarter under a seat cushion or couch cushion.
"It has no screen but gives you a view". Put something like an envelope in your VCR (in the area you normally put a VHS tape), just make sure whatever you put in it is too big to fall inside of it.
If you have a picture you could make a riddle from you could tape a ticket or something to the back of it. The clue could be So and So is hiding a valuable asset.

I always hid presents from kids and grandkids under the laundry in the hamper! They never found it! (he he he!)

Our Easter Baskets were hidden every other year and we started with one egg with a clue in it to track them down... lots of fun! Some of these will depend on how much TV you watch and how old the participants are.

Keep in mind you have to arrange them so that one clue leads to the next so the starter clue could read.
"Nothing says lovin' like somethin' in the ___ "
the clue finishes as "Oven" and the next egg is in the oven. Then proceed from there.
"April ______ bring May flowers"
the clue finishes as "Showers" and the next egg is in the shower.
"One jumped off and bumped his head! No more Monkeys jumping on the ____"
the clue finishes as "bed"
"How much is the doggie in the _____"
the clue finishes as "window"
"Always leave milk and _____ for Santa"
the clue is in a cookie jar
"And leave a ________ for Rudolph"
the clue is in the crisper drawer of the fridge
Mom used Tv commercials, old saying, children's stories we read, and such to put together the clues.
Good Luck!

I am looking for a scavenger hunt that our church did a few years ago. We had to go to different houses and ask things like, Can we use your shower? & then we had to sing, There will be showers of blessings. It was sooooo much fun I'd like to share it with my daughter. Thank You for any help.

C.L.

Answers

By Mirriah (Guest Post)

Oh my Gosh!! That is such a good idea. You could ask for asparagus, to use their shower, to borrow a bra, use some underwear, suck their thumb....just think of embarassing things like that!! It might help a lot if you think of things that are random...I hope I was a help!! Hope it turns out well!!

By Tay Tay Smil (Guest Post)

abanc.wordpress.com/2008/03/12/youth-game-underground-church-and-subliminal-scavenger-hunt/
I found it at this website

By Theresa (Guest Post)

Check this one out. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for. We sure had a blast with it! www.associatedcontent.com/.../church_group_scavenger_hunt.html...

My sister is having a mall scavenger hunt and we need a list. Can anyone help me?

By Kaylee from HI

Answers

Make everyone try on a certain color shirt and take a picture, a keychain with an animal on it, or look at www.birthdaypartyideas4kids.com/mall-scavenger-hunts.htm

Our Sunday School class did this with polaroid cameras. We had to take a picture of all in each group with an object we found at the mall starting with each letter in our Sunday School Class name. It was a blast. All I remember was the letter "U" we took our picture around a urinal!

St. Patrick's Day Scavenger Hunt: I need suggestions for a St. Paddy's Day Scavenger Hunt for a 7th to 12th grade girls church group.

Pattie from Fort Worth, TX

Answers:

Scavenger Hunt Ideas

<title-green>Request:</title>

<title-green>Answers:</title>

Scavenger Hunt Ideas

We did one in the evening and any neighbors who wanted to participate left their front light on. If it's not dark, you can probably tell them to tie a ribbon on their mailbox or something of that nature. The participating neighbors had no idea what they would need. We made a list of things to collect: a canceled stamp, a picture of a cat, a red ball of yarn, a candy wrapper, etc. Just about anything that can be gathered and put in a plastic or paper bag.

We didn't include anything valuable or breakable, in case something became lost or broken. We had teams. Each team were given a list and a bag and a time limit. Each team scavenged the same neighborhood. The first to collect everything on the list and bring it to the home base was the winner. No prizes involved, just plain fun. Every one had a blast. Even the neighbors who participated. Be sure to mention to everyone, to use common sense and keep safety in mind.

Post by<userlink:thr781554>mkymlp</userlink>

Scavenger Hunt Ideas

In the recent magazine, PTO Today, a school had a great scavenger hunt. They collected band aids, paper clips, penny, piece of bread, box tops, Campbell's label and the list goes on. It sounds fun. Have a great time.

Ann <Guest Post>

Scavenger Hunt Ideas

I am with the above idea. The extended family here has them and they always include the local little diner. They are to go get a ice cream cone, fry container, etc. They have it every year and it is always different. They do have prizes, but it is usually like a pizza gift card or something similar. Good luck and have fun. Be safe.

Michele (Guest Post)

Scavenger Hunt Ideas

How about: empty tomato soup can, bobby pin, red or blue pencil, anything or a piece of something with a Barbie label, vegetable seeds, inflatable pool ring, certain color balloon, torn pantyhose, plastic strawberry basket, plastic Easter egg, foreign flag. Make the teams a mix of adults and kids so the kids are well chaperoned.

Scavenger Hunt Ideas

I just attended a high school girls sleep over with my church yesterday night, and we did a scavenger hunt. We had a list of 20 things we had to do. Our scavenger hunt was a digital picture one. We took pictures of things instead of taking them. We split into 2 teams (but you can also have 3 or 4 smaller groups). We had an hour and a half time limit. Each team has a diver. Every one gets in the car, then opens the list.

The rules are every one on your team has to be in every picture, and your driver can not give you any clues. Things on list were take a picture at a yellow house, at a gravestone, with a Walmart greeter, upside down in front of a neon sign. Some other things were take a picture with your whole team jumping in the air, in a church members (or friends) bathtub. None of the pictures can be taken at the host's house. That's it. I hope you have a much fun as we did. (01/01/2005)

By Kayli (Guest Post)ThriftyFun

Scavenger Hunt Ideas

1. a green sock
  2. a green tie
  3. a green hair scrunchie
  4. a green apple
  5. a green glove
  6. a green pillowcase
  7. a green cup/mug
  8. a green vegetable (sprout/lettuce/cucumber, etc)
  9. a green toy (frog/Hulk?)
  10. a green toy car
  11. a green shoe
  12. a green blouse/shirt
I don't know how many things you're looking for, but I think they should all be "green related" for St. Patrick's Day. How about just seeing who can find the most "green" items regardless of what they are, even leaves or grass count here if anyone thinks of those. (03/07/2006)

Scavenger Hunt Ideas

Give each guest a green plastic St. Patrick's Day hat. Each hat will contain a progressive clue that leads them to different locations, searching for a pot of gold (party favors, gifts.) (03/13/2006)

By Dee