Secure Your Sliding Door and Windows

Category Home Safety
You can use pieces of wood or PVC pipe cut to fit, to secure the bottom of your sliding door and window frames.

Sliding doors and windows are an easy way to attract burglars when they are open and unsupervised. To prevent the thought of burglars and feel safe in your own home, you can purchase pieces of wood or PVC pipe.

I would recommend cutting the wood or PVC pipe to a desired size so that no one can fit through the opening and yet the door or windows can still be open for ventilation and air. Measure your sliding door and windows and cut off 4 to 5 inches from that length measured.

Now when we are home running around or upstairs, we can still have our doors and windows open while feeling secure. Even when the sliding door and windows are completely locked and shut, we still put the wood and PVC pipe in the track incase of a break-in, it would be much harder.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Top Comment

I had always followed this good advice. Until one morning when I walked into the kitchen and found myself face to face with a raccoon.

He had had no problem entering the 8 inch gap I left in the door overnight for fresh air. I still have the 8 inch gap, but have added a screen door for hungry raccoons.

Top Comment

Oh no! Hope you were able to get the raccoon out!

We don't leave our doors wide open. We leave it open with the screen door so no animals and bugs come in.

At night we close the doors though! At 8" a lot of things can fit through. Ideally we don't want a human fit through.