Selling Clothing

Category Selling
Selling old clothing can be a way to make some extra money. There are a few steps you can take to improve your return. This is a guide about selling clothing.

There are a number of creative ways to hang or layout clothes so that your prospective yard sale buyers can easily see them. This is a guide about displaying clothes at yard sale.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you don't have time for a garage sale, are there any other ways to profit from usable clothing? This could include online sites for selling or any other good ideas.

Answers

I have bought several nice items of gently used clothing from EBay. It is a good way to find cheap clothes that have good wear left in them....and in
many sizes (even the very large) For example I won a set of 4 tops for $12.00 (including the shipping) and 2 nice slacks for $8 (again incl s/h).

This is a good way to thin out the closet and make a bit of money to buy MORE clothes...or books, or whatever - Margaret

For me personally, I did not find taking things to the consignment store profitable, however it was recycling. By the time, my items sold I got next to nothing because they continually mark things down. Not only that, you have to pay a fee to the shop to set up an account so you can have your clothes sold at the shop, however, this is once a year fee.

If you have deductions on your income taxes you probably would be better off donating them to charity and take a tax deduction.

Ms. Syd Barr

For women's and children's clothes take them to a Women's Shelter ..check

with a local church or the YWCA for where to find them. They are always in need of clothes (especially for the kids) - Britathrt

We have a Reader's Request answer that meshes with this topic nicely. For a list of consignment sites follow the link below.

If you have any friends that do a lot of yard sales, you might let them sell your things for a percentage of the items they sell. My girlfriend did that and had about 14 ladies she sold for. - Sue

See if anyone in your area is having a clothing swap. It will profit you clothes that you or your kids will wear.

I am new to this site. I would like some advice for selling toddler boys suits, purses with Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, I Love Lucy, and The Wizard Of Oz. I have a very old computer and I can't upload pictures. I don't trust craigslist. tried eBay, but people want to see pictures. Anyone interested or have advice on how to display them?

By Wanaya from Baltimore, MD

Answers

At the present time because of our poor economy, sales are really lousy. I've advertised gently used women's clothing on eBay and nothing has sold.

Check with consignment stores in your area. I have a friend who sells a lot of her clothes at consignment stores.

I never buy anything without looking at pics. Your best bet in my opinion is to either find an ebay agent who will take photos for you and then post them for you or buy a newer pc, you can find a tower only for about $200-$300 and do it yourself. Good luck. :)

Try www.Kijiji.com. (Free Ebay Classifieds) We Canadians love it! It's very addictive!

I have a large quantity of women's slightly used and new clothing which I would like to sell wholesale in lots to consignment buyers. I have tried eBay, but found it not to work for selling in lots. I have seen ads for this in the past, but do not recollect how to locate them. Thank you.

By Roberta from Sandwich, MA

Answers

Anonymous

I don't know if this is the type of site you are looking for, but you can check it out:
http://www.desi … 43&Itemid=59

I have dozens of barely worn expensive professional suits, outfits, cocktail dresses, etc. The problem is, every consignment shop states they will not consider anything older than two years. This clothing is so classic, so tailored, similar clothing is shown often in New York Times ads. Does anyone have any bright ideas on how not to just dump clothing?

Thank you.
Janet54304 from Green Bay

Answers:

Selling Clothing

Give them to the ladies abuse shelter. They can start a new job in new clothes. Most leave home with nothing. (05/28/2006)

By Marieaa65

Selling Clothing

Have a garage sale or go to the flea market and rent a space. (05/29/2006)

By Gigi

Selling Clothing

eBay, baby!

Look at the site and use the "search" feature to get an idea of what your items might bring.

Buyers pay for shipping! (05/29/2006)

By Maggie

Selling Clothing

In St. Louis we have a "Dress for Success" program for women who need a little help getting off welfare and getting job. You can donate to them and write it off! (05/30/2006)

By Kathy

Selling Clothing

dressforsuccess.org. It collects business clothes and then offers them to women entering the business world that need business clothes, but money is tight.
I haven't personally dealt with them, but know people who have made donations.
(05/30/2006)

By Cindy

Selling Clothing

You could sell them on eBay. I do like the donation to the women's shelter best, though. You have been blessed enough to be able to afford lovely well made clothes. Now that they no longer serve you, you can do so much good giving a woman who left with nothing more than the clothes on her back, kids on her hips and bruises on her face a presentable, professional outfit that may help her on her way to recovery. That suit you may have worn to a brunch or a social gathering will be special to her because it was THE outfit that got her her first job on the long road to recovery.

Another idea, it may help the post high school graduate get a better job than a burger joint, or maybe a nice dress to wear to church. When you give, those who desperately need it will appreciate it so much more than you will probably ever know. (05/31/2006)

By KLS8800

Selling Clothing

Try the consignment shops in your area or list them on craigslist.org. (06/01/2006)

By bliss

Selling Clothing

The previous posters said almost everything I was going to say. The only thing I can think of to add is posting the items for sale, with pictures if possible, at a community college, technical school, or university. New graduates sometimes have just had jobs that only required uniforms or very casual dress, and until they get that new job they went to college for, they don't have the money to buy a really nice interview dress/suit, or dressy clothes to wear to "networking" parties. (02/25/2009)

By Pinky