Shelf Life of Homemade Facial Products?

I am starting my own little business where I make homemade facial scrubs and masks. I was wondering about my banana mask. I will be using real banana with lemon and oil, if I keep it in a plastic container will it be good for me to ship it to customers? And I have the same question, but just for my uncooked oatmeal mask, I will be adding like honey and oil too and will that be safe to be contained to sell to my customers?

Best Answer

Your banana mask products can last up to 6 months, as long as it is made into glass jars. Plastic is not the best option as far as preserving.

Best Answer

I would do trial and error before selling to customers. You should test your products out and see how long it lasts for you in plastic vs. glass. How would your product be left out during room temperature or out in heat (ex: during shipment it wouldn't be refrigerated leave it out for up to 5-7 business days assuming you might ship first class cheaper route) + during Covid 19 there may be delay in shipments.

You could also test by sending to family/friends to test out too!

I do see on the internet it says 6 months for shelf life in glass jar. But couldn't find any more info. i.pinimg.com/.../97e150a5cabcc59a6cc4b90aad82d137...

Best Answer

Since this is something you are going to be selling to the public you should have a test period of all your products so you know they are safe after a period of time.
I'm not sure where you live but if there are legal steps you have to take to sell your product then you will most likely have to have proof that it is safe to use.
A test period starts with exact ingredients in container.
A record of every step in the making process.
Seal containers as you will when getting ready to sell.

Test contents after however many days you plan to store before shipping.
Then estimate shipping time (heat or cold?) and keep record of condition.
Since there are so many different formulas for banana masks you should test yours to be sure.
You should also test to know if the contents should be refrigerated after the buyer opens the container.

I'm just stating how it should be done as you, as the seller, can be held responsible if the buyer has a problem with the contents.

Best Answer

Product self-life for bananas differs from regions and climate. If you live in a cooler climate it can stay in a glass jar for up to 6 months and still be safe to use. In warmer climates, I would not store the product on the shelf but in a cooler place such as a refrigerator. As for shipping you should be fine to ship this off to your clients but add a label for care and storage on the bottle when shipped.

Best Answer

Are you in the US? Before you pick a way to ship (container etc.), you need to find the laws in your state on making and selling these type of products, especially if you are making them from a home kitchen.

US also has very strict postal rules about shipping things that could be considered liquid or perishable. Here is a link to get you started: www.usps.com/.../shipping-restrictions.htm

Post back what you learn!

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FacialsJune 18, 2020
🐛
😷
😎
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Shelf-Life-of-Homemade-Facial-Products.html