Shopping Estate Sales

Category Miscellaneous
Estate Sale
Knowing how to recognize precious metals, stones, and collectables will help you be a smart shopper at property sales and auctions. This guide is about shopping estate sales.

It is often the case at estate sales and garage sales that those hosting the sale overlook some hidden treasure in their inventory. Go to a jeweler or a pawn shop and see if the proprietor would teach you some fundamentals, so you can recognize solid gold and silver or how to distinguish between diamonds and zircon. Make it worth his or her time to do so. Use those skills when you go to estate or garage sales and buy the real things when you see them to keep or resell.

By Tracy from Kansas City, MO

I get the best prices when I go to estate sales run by the family. Companies that do estate sales take a percentage of the sale price. The prices are generally higher and they do not negotiate as easily. I have enclosed a picture of my latest find for $11. This Williamsburg replica tea chest was brand new in the box. Even the handle was wrapped. I looked it up and it retails for $120!