FurnitureCleaning

Sticky Residue on Varnished Wood Table

I have been using a heat protection cloth on my table for the last couple of years and have not removed it. I just change the table cloth on top. We have decorated and I want the beauty of the table to show. Having removed the heat protection cloth with great difficulty it has left behind a sticky residue all over the table which I can't clean off. I have been told my only option is to get it sanded down and re-varnished, but I feel this is a bit extreme. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I would try oil to remove this stickiness. It won't scrape or damage the wood, but would take lots pf patient rubbing. Slightly heated it might do better. I have a pine table which had sellotape all along one side, and it worked on that to a degree. Otherwise it would have to be refinishing, I think, because anything that would remove the stickiness would damage the wood surface.

Use a thick pad and run a warm iron. This will soften the sticky residue. Hopefully you can peel it off and wax the table.