Sticky Rice Cake (Banh Tet)
This sticky rice cake is only sold around Chinese New Year, but you can make this year-round! What's great is that you can also cut down the cooking time with an instant pot. As reference, I was able to make 6 in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 4 cups glutinous rice
- 3 tsp salt
- 4 tsp ground pepper
- 4 cloves shallots
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 lb mung beans
- 1 lb pork belly
- 1 package banana leaves (frozen)
- 6 lucky red envelopes (optional)
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- Optional sushi rolling mat
- saran wrap
- 3 tsp pandan extract
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Place sticky rice in a bowl. Pour water until leveled with rice. Allow to soak for 2 hours. Do the same with the black beans and soak for 2 hours.
- Drain water out of the rice. Sprinkle 2 tsp salt and mix. Also drain black beans and set aside.
- In a large pan, add oil and your drained rice over medium heat. Stir the rice and add pandan extract, black beans and 1 cup water. Cook for about 10 minutes until rice expands. Set aside.
- Add mung beans in a pot. Pour water until leveled and cook over medium heat until soft. This will take about 15 minutes. Then mash.
- After mashing mung beans, divide 6 pieces and roll into Saran Wrap.
- For the pork belly, cut into pieces and marinate with salt, pepper and soy sauce. Divide the pork belly into 6 portions.
- Using a sushi mat makes it easier but it's optional. Ready to roll. Unwrap one of the mung beans and flatten. Then add your meat and roll back up.
- Divide the sticky rice and pat rectangle. And put your mung bean with meat roll over the sticky rice. Then roll it up.
- Lay over 2 banana leaves. And wrap with string securely. Repeat this step until you're done.
- Place your 6 sticky rice cakes in your instant pot and pour water up to the max line. In an instant pot, cook on high pressure for 1 hour and natural release.
- Allow sticky rice cake to dry. Then optional - wrap with Saran Wrap and add a lucky money envelope.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.