Sticky Rice and Mung Bean
This is a sweet rice dish that is commonly served during breakfast, or as a dessert.
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 3 hours prep rice
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes + 3 hours prep for rice (or overnight)
- 1 15 oz can Goya white hominy
- 1/2 bag About 7 oz mung beans
- 3 cups glutinous rice
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- For Topping sugar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1.5 gal water
- For Topping fried onion
- The time consuming part of this dish is the glutinous rice. You can do this in the morning before you start this recipe or overnight. Soak rice in water covering the rice with salt and vegetable oil (I soak mine for 3 hours).
- Wash and soak mung beans for 30 minutes. Then drain.
- Drain and wash Goya white hominy. Put in a bowl then set aside.
- In a pot, over high heat boil about 1 cup of water. Then pour drained mung beans in and reduce heat to medium. Cook until all the water has been dried up and soaked into the mung beans. Then low heat for 10 more minutes. This process is around 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat allow to cool down then get a spoon and mash together. Then form the mung beans into balls.
- Once finished forming into balls, take knife and carefully chop/crumble into pieces. You can do this on a cutting board if you'd like.
- Now that your rice has been soaked in water for at least 3 hours (or overnight) drain water and allow to dry.
- Mix the Goya white hominy with the rice. In a steamer boil 1.5 gallon water over high heat. Then on the top rack, I used a cotton sheet because we have bigger holes in our steamer, but if your rack has small holes you don't need to. Put on high heat for 30 minutes. Had to repeat and do 2 batches because there was a lot of rice.
- Once finished cooking - place the rice mixture on the bottom then mung beans, sprinkle your additional toppings like sugar, fried onions. Some people add shredded coconut or coconut milk and nuts.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.