Coconut Pandan Sticky Rice
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts
December 10, 2020
This is my Vietnamese inspired Coconut Pandan Sticky Rice with layered mung beans. This is a sticky rice dessert - you can serve warm or eat at room temperature. The toppings are optional - mung beans and sesame.
Prep Time: 6 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes + prep time
Yield: 4-6 people
- 4 cups Glutinous rice (sticky rice)
- 7 oz Mung beans
- 6 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 gal Water
- 1 can (13.66 fl. oz.) Coconut
- Few drops Artificial pandan extract
- Soak glutinous rice with water and 3/4 canned coconut for 6 hours. Save remaining 1/4 canned of coconut for step 4.
- Drain the rice, shake it and add dash of salt and pandan extract.
- In a steam boiler (pour 2 gallons of water on the bottom, middle rack empty) and in the top rack line with cheese cloth and place the glutinous rice evenly. Steam for 10 minutes on high heat.
- Transfer the glutinous rice in a sauce pan over low heat. Pour remaining coconut in and mix evenly.
- Once coconut is combined with the rice. Place back into the double boiler for 10 more minutes to steam.
- For mung beans - soak mung beans in water for 30 minutes and drain. Put the mung beans in a sauce pan and put water leveled. Boil for 10 minutes and then lower heat to 5 minutes. Once the water has drained place stir and place in a bowl.
- Now ready to serve. Rice on the bottom, mung beans on top and top off with some sesame.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.