Stiffening a 3D Crochet Project

I'm making a 3D crochet water lily out of acrylic yarn and I would like to waterproof and stiffen it to place it on my daughter's grave. Do you have any suggestions for methods of stiffening such a product?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You can soak it in starch. Then spray with Scotchgard waterproofing spray.

Starch will make the crochet stiff, however, rain and humidity will make the crocheted article less stiff and may return it to it's original state. You can restarch, of course, but the same will happen in the next rain. There are water resistant stiffeners you can consider.

I am sorry for your loss. Undoubtedly the water lily means something to you and your daughter's memory but I cannot help but feel that no matter how you stiffen this item, you will be very disappointed with the result.
The only way that I can see to do this would be to stiffen it in the shape you want, let it dry thoroughly, and then spray it will a clear acrylic paint. This method may keep it safe for a short period of time but I do not think you will find any really permanent method. Even just one tiny/small missed spot will allow moisture inside and that means mildew and the item is ruined.
How did you plan to place or fasten this on your daughter's grave? Would it be possible to make your lily, stiffen it, and have it placed in a sealed acrylic box? Many people also use photographs of their loved one and an item they loved - even in separate photos. Or maybe enclose your lily in a deep picture frame that can be sealed.

My father-in-law will be making a box to put it in. He is a Master Craftsman, who will be making a wooden, sealed box with a viewing window on the top.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify as I was very concerned about placing an open item out in the weather. This idea sounds like a lovely way to place a remembrance at a daughter's grave site and I hope it turns out even nicer than expected.
I would suggest you contact either Michael's or JoAnn's if one is near you as they deal with all kinds of crafts and I believe they would go to all lengths (ask for manager) to help you find the best solution as you will also need to know how to make your lily stay in the correct shape.

I wonder if you could encase it in a clear resin? They sell the resin at hobby stores.