Starch Recipe for Crocheted Items

Category Crochet
Certain crochet projects, such as doilies or ornaments, need to be starched to stiffen them upon completion. This is a guide about starch recipe for crocheted items.

I am looking for a recipe on starch, if that is what it is called, I have a crochet hat ornament and I washed it and now I need to stiffen it back up and I can't remember how it was done in the first place. So if you have any idea on how to do this please let me know.

Answers

Best Answer

You can still buy Faultless starch in the laundry aisle at most Grocery Stores. If you can't find it, or would rather, you can use plain Corn Starch.

In a small pan put about a 1- 1/2 pints of water and start it boiling.

In a small cup use 1 heaping Tbs. of corn starch mixed with COLD water to make a thick, pourable mixture.

As soon as the water starts boiling pour in cornstarch mix as you quickly stir, it will make a cloudy almost gravy like substance, add your wet article to the VERY HOT starch mixture.

Let it sit for a minute then fish it out with tongs or a fork, let it cool then squeeze out excess starch.

Start shaping the article as it is drying.

- The problem with sugar water is it attracts bugs.I was taught to make starch by my grand-mother back in the 40's when almost everything was starched and ironed. I suggested HOT starch because cold starch will make a powdery article when it drys.

Sent in by a Helpful Reader

By Lin (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I am looking for a homemade starch recipe that uses sugar. My mom had the recipe several years ago but lost it. We want to use it to make decorations for a nursing home. Thanks in advance!!
Lin

Best Answer

Hi Lin,
Years ago I used a heavy sugar water like HONTMac describes as a starch for crocheted Christmas ornaments. I still have them and they are still "starched".

Susan from ThriftyFun

By magicdreamd AT aol.com (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Sugar Starch Recipe for doilies
This is the old-fashioned starch used for lacy doilies.

1/4 cup water
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Mix water and sugar in a small pan. Stir the mixture over low heat (do not boil) until clear and not sugary. Remove pan from heat, and let mixture cool.

Wet the collar and cuffs of a blouse or lace doily. Roll in a towel to remove excess moisture and dip it into the mixture. Squeeze out excess starch, then shape the collar and cuffs or doily. Allow to dry and iron on warm setting.

Doilies do not need to be ironed when you use this starch. Just smooth out and shape while wet on a clean flat surface.

I have used too much sugar in my sugar starch. How do I fix it?

Answers

Sugar starch is normally used doilies or baskets. The sugar starch is made with just sugar and water. After the sugar has dissolved in the water it is removed from the stove before it boils. Afterwards, you dip your doily into the mixture and let it dry. If you have added too much sugare you can:

Step 1
Put the mixture back on the stove and add more water.

Step 2
Normally it is 1 cup of sugar to 1/2 cups of water.

Step 3
Depending on how much sugar you used, adjust your water.

Step 4
Reheat the mixture on the stove and cook it until the sugar has dissolved, but don't let it boil.

Step 5
Remove the sugar starch from the stove and let it cool.

Step 6
Wet you doily and dip it in the cooled sugar water.

Step 7
Lay it flat to dry.

These doilies are so neat and stiffening is so easy. there are several ways to starch doilies other than with sugar water. If you have messed up with your measurements maybe it would be best to dump that solution and start over.

Step 1
According to what type of doilies you have you may want to draw an outline on paper or cardboard of your doilies to use when setting them up to dry.

Step 2
This is the old-fashioned starch used for lacy doilies. 1/4 cup water - 3/4 cup granulated sugar

Step 3

Step 4
Wet the lace doily and roll in a towel to remove excess moisture and dip it into the mixture. Squeeze out excess starch, then shape the doily. Allow to dry.

Step 5

Step 6
I have used starch in the past instead of sugar and the results were also very good. 1/2 c water (4 fluid oz.) + 1-1/2 Tablespoons laundry starch (= 1 T + 1-1/2 tsp) + 1/4 c water + 1 c cool water.

Step 7
Mix starch powder into 1/4 cup cool water until smooth. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat and slowly stir starch mixture into hot water. Add cool water and mix well. Let cool.

Step 8
Proceed same as with sugar water mixture. here is a link that has full instructions. http://www.text  -starch-a-doily/

Step 9
Here is a link to another suggestion using cornstarch. http://www.grou  ing-doilies.html

Contrary to what some people may think, sugar water starched doilies do not attract ants and, when done properly, the stiffness will last for years.