Cleaning Starch from Clothing

Category Clothing
Sometimes there is a need to launder a heavily starched item, removing the starch entirely. This guide has tips about cleaning starch from clothing.

OK, after total frustration and desperation, I put 2 pair of heavily starched jeans in the washer, on warm, added 2 cups of Advanced Finish dishwasher detergent and 2 cups of cider vinegar. I washed them for approximately 30 minutes and added 3 fabric sheets to the rinse. It was a miracle, almost all the starch is gone!

How do you get starch out of blue jeans that have been starched so stiff they can stand up by themselves? They've been through the wash at least three times and they are still stiff. The jeans were from my husband's nephew, who likes them starched that much.

By CJ from Rural NM

Answers

Best Answer

Wow! Have you used hot, hot water? Like adding a big pan of boiling water along with your regular hot water.

Try adding 3 or 4 cans of Coca-Cola to the wash along with your laundry soap. I don't know if this will work, but one can of regular "classic" Coca-Cola (not the sugarless kind) removes nicotine, & other nasty smoke odors. I'm wondering if it's that strong, maybe it will remove the starch???

Go to the supermarket or Walmart & read the back of the liquid starch bottle. Maybe they have directions for removing it!?

If Vinegar doesn't work, try adding half a box of baking soda to your wash cycle (because Baking Soda is the opposite of Vinegar) & works like a water softener. Hey! Come to think of it, maybe a water softener (like Calgon) might help!?

I sewed a ladies' jacket and used spray starch. Is there a way to get the starch removed without washing? Please help, thanks!

By E W from Saskatchewan, Canada