Making Corn Starch Stiffener for a Crocheted Doll's Skirt?

How do I make a corn starch stiffener for a crocheted doll dress with a full skirt?

Best Answer

From experience I can state that stiffening a doll skirt takes a lot of patience as it is difficult to get the folds just right where as a doily can be placed flat or draped over a bowl so whatever you use be sure you have a little time set aside for finishing once you start your project.

It's easy to tell you the basics but you can see different methods online and can go back to review anytime if you save the link. Hope your doll looks gorgeous when you finish.

www.fabricers.com/.../

Best Answer

So I know this is not going to answer your question directly with a recipe, but it is just a suggestion. The corn starch stiffeners over time have more of a chance for attracting bugs (especially silverfish, but also roaches and ants), depending on the climate. This increases a lot if you live in a very humid area damp home.

It also tends to wilt more over time (not keep its crispness) if you are in a humid climate.

The commercial ones are very chemically, which I usually avoid...or what I do is pick the one with the simplest ingredients. Depending on what you want to do, you an often find other ways to make the dress appear stiff, like careful pinning and stuffing it with things that don't attract insets (as bad) like batting or cotton fabrics.

Sadly the ones with the chemicals are the ones which last the longest and work the best.

I hate to see people putting a ton of effort into a crochet project and then have it ruined over time.

Post back what you decide.

Best Answer

I would mix equal parts Elmer's Glue and water, then put it on. Handle with gloves.

Elmer's glue won't degrade with time and will retain whiteness. As well, it won't attract vermin down the line.

Here is a link to several recipes to choose from - craftingagreenworld.com/.../diy-natural-fabric-stiffeners

Crafts Toys DollmakingMay 28, 2020
🐛
😷
📓
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Corn-Starch-Stiffener-for-a-Crocheted-Dolls-Skirt.html