Uses for Corn Starch

Corn starch is not just for use in cooking, there are many ways you can use it around the house. This is a guide about uses for corn starch.

To clean old grease from concrete, saturate first with paint thinner or engine degreaser, then use the kitty litter or corn starch treatment. Sprinkle corn starch or kitty litter over the area and sweep up after the oil is absorbed.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Tips for using cornstarch around the house. Post your ideas.

I have the same problems as you do. I get relief by applying a mixture of unscented baby powder and corn starch to the affected areas.

By Janet L. N. from Brockton, MA

Keeping Gravy from Separating

When you add your flour and water or stock to thicken, put in a small amount of corn starch. Doing this will prevent your gravy from separating (like water).

Keeping Cream Pies from Cracking

When baking a cream pie, adding a little corn starch will prevent it from cracking.

Glazing Candied Sweet Potatoes

When making candied sweet potatoes, thicken with corn starch, and you will get a beautiful glaze. With extra starch, simmer well so you don't get the starchy taste.

By Charlie from Herkimer NY

The last few weeks here have been extra humid. Even though we have central air conditioning in our home there are times that you must leave the house or do yard work. Perspiring is a problem, especially for those of us who may be going through menopause, are heavy, having radiation treatments or just plain old reacting to the heat.

I bought an extra box of pure cornstarch and a powder puff & put them in a round plastic container with a lid. I leave it in my bathroom and after getting washed up in the morning I proceed to dust my problem areas with the cornstarch. Sure does help.

By Joesgirl

Using corn starch for rug spots actually works. Using a kitchen sifter, liberally apply pure corn starch to trafficked area as well as in front of sofa, chairs, etc. Leave it on 1 hour and vacuum up. It soaks up black marks very well. We use in front of each waiting room chair in our doctor's office where I work. It does the job and I use it at home frequently.

Hot spots, or moist eczemas can result from allergies, bites, stress licking, and more. As your pet continues to chew and scratch the irritation progresses. This is a guide about using corn starch for dog's hot spots.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes