Grease Spots on Cement

To clean old grease from concrete, saturate first with paint thinner or engine degreaser, then use the kitty litter or corn starch treatment. Sprinkle corn starch or kitty litter over the area and sweep up after the oil is absorbed.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Best stuff on the planet I used was BEHR Cleaner /Degreaser sold at Home Depot, silver bottle with green label, unbelievable! be careful though need to use rubber gloves, will eat your hands but not your driveway. Need to scrub with bristle brush, try diluted, but I used it full strength and it even removes the toughest grease and tar. Comes in one gallon bottles.

Hmm. someone was just asking about this on TF recently. Hope they find your article. Thumbs up!

How can I remove bacon grease from concrete?

Geddes

Answers:

Grease Spots on Cement

You can try all the above listed methods and also water soluble cleaners from Home Depot as well as aerosols cans of engine degreaser, choke and carb cleaner,or even adhesive cleaners. (07/08/2008)

By harry

Grease Spots on Cement

When cars leak oil on drive way we pour paint remover on stain and wash it away. Has always worked great. (07/09/2008)

By Vicki

Grease Spots on Cement

Try Mountain Dew. Kind of scary - but I have removed engine oil spots from my garage floor. (07/28/2009)

By DixieHardy

Does anyone have a remedy for grease spots on cement driveways or patios? I've dripped grease from the BBQ on our patio, and our older car leaks oil onto our cement driveway. I'm willing to buy any product, or try any home remedy for this problem.

Tressa

Answers:

Grease Spots on Cement

Spray with oven cleaner then sprinkle on cat litter and cover with plastic sheeting. (02/17/2005)

By multiple

Grease Spots on Cement

Home Depot and other home improvement stores have a chemical called TSP (it stands for something - I just don't know the chemical name!). It's in the paint section in a box if I remember correctly. Just sprinkle it on, scrub it away with a brush and voila - it's gone! We also used this to remove Thompson's water seal on a fiberglass porch because it made it too slippery and it worked great! (02/17/2005)

By Maureen

Grease Spots on Cement

Try kitty litter - I know it will get car oil up off garage floors. (02/17/2005)

By

Grease Spots on Cement

I've used kitty litter, and oven cleaner to no avail. The grease has sunken into the cement. I will try to the trisodium phosphate TSP. For years I've heard that it's an effective cleaner. Anyone else have a good solution?

Tressa (02/17/2005)

By Tressa

Grease Spots on Cement

I have heard that WD-40 will work, though I have never tried it. (02/18/2005)

By acope

Grease Spots on Cement

My husband uses spray on brake & parts cleaner for things like oil, grease, paint that have soaked in to the concrete. He brushes it after it sits a while (protect eyes) & uses pressure washer to wash it off. A brush & water hose should be effective also. Rinse very well or scrub w/ soap & water after. Good Luck. (02/24/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Grease Spots on Cement

Spirit of Salts! (07/22/2007)

By gurth

Grease Spots on Cement

Wipe up the excess with a paper towel, then spray WD-40 on it. Let the WD-40 sit for 5 minutes, then wipe it off. Then spray it with 409 to remove the WD-40. Wipe the 409 up and either let it dry or rinse it. It works for me. If the grease or oil is old and dry; you will need to chip it down to the concrete's surface. (10/07/2007)

By Dan

Grease Spots on Cement

Old stains from oil leakage is best removed with TSP in a 10:90 ratio with H2O. Allow solution to stand 5 minutes, then use hard bristle brush to assist the cleaning action.

Wash away the wet wash with garden hose or pressure washer. (01/14/2008)

By Rich R