Stocking a Basic Pantry

Category Helpful Hints
Stocking a Basic Pantry
When moving into your first apartment or house, one of the first tasks is to stock your pantry. This is a guide about stocking a basic pantry.

What do you consider necessities for a frugal, stocked pantry? My income is limited and I am trying to gradually stock up. I would like to hear your ideas. Thank you.

By Lee Ann

I always keep a good supply of canned veggies, fruit, etc. on hand. Usually about four cans of each of the ones that we like, and I rotate them. Canned goods can always be used in case of an extended power outage.

I also keep 3-4 pkgs. of chopped ham in my freezer and I mark the month purchased on them. They will remain good in a power outage for awhile as long as a person doesn't open the door frequently.

I also keep several loaves of bread/buns in the freezer for the same reason. I don't bake any more so I don't have flour, shortening, etc. on hand. If I have to bake cookies I find a recipe that calls for using a cake mix. The cookies turn out well and it is convenient.

I also use a wide variety of spices for seasonings instead of salt. I keep salt in a salt shaker, but don't use it in cooking.

Pasta/rice is also good to keep on hand. I also keep instant potatoes on hand because that is convenient, just like the pasta. I have bad shoulders and it is hard for me to peel or cut real potatoes.

For the canned goods I use the store brand for economy. If I have to make something for company or a pot luck then I use a can of the more expensive brands or frozen. Hope this helps.

Rice, several types of dried beans, canned tuna, oatmeal, flour, sugar, salt. Also, canned tomatoes, vinegar, powered milk, various canned fruits and other veggies, canned speg sauce, various noodles and pasta (unless you make your own) and your favorite spices.

Always rice (own brand supermarket or Chinese supermarket) - long grain, not Basmati or 'quick cook', flour, sugar, baking powder, oats, dried lentils and beans, eggs, milk, crackers, tinned beans, tomatoes and fruit. I like the idea of putting chopped ham into the freezer - sounds like a good plan to me, though I don't like the taste of defrosted bacon.

Ooh, and cornflakes. Breakfast, crushed as a coating for fish fingers or veggie risolles, or as a hot pudding topping. Obviously own brand too. Happy shopping! Remember, you don't need to keep everything in stock - meal planning for the week helps me to be the most frugal.