Storing Garlic

Does anyone have any advice on prolonging the shelf life of whole garlic. My mother-in-law just gave us an entire bag. We usually only buy bulbs as needed and thus store them in a bowl in the pantry. However, we have discovered in the past that if they are not used they seem to dehydrate and become bad after a few weeks.

David from Birmingham, AL

Answers:

Storing Garlic Cloves

I found this page and thought it might help you store the garlic.

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/garlic.htm (07/18/2005)

By Joan415

Storing Garlic Cloves

Toss them in a ziploc freezer bag & put in the freezer. Bring out how many you need when cooking. (07/18/2005)

By badwater

Storing Garlic

According to a cooking show I saw quite a while ago, you can keep fresh garlic in the freezer. First, take the outer skin off the garlic and separate the cloves. I leave the thin skin on the individual cloves at this point. Stick the cloves in a zipoc bag, where I believe the show stated they can be stored for up to three months. When I need some garlic, I take whatever quantity I need out of the freezer and let it defrost for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then, I peel off the thin skin and cut it up however I wish for my recipe. Garlic this way tastes almost as good as fresh garlic. Just a note, though, the garlic turns a bit golden-yellow from the freezing and thawing, but its taste is still good. (12/06/2005)

By truerblue

Storing Garlic

After I pick my garlic from the garden. I cut the tops off & then i string them & hang them too dry. When they are dry hang them in a cool place. You are going too have too leave the skins on the garlic. My garlic lasts all winter long & i eat a lot of garlic. If the garlic is dry i would just sting them & hang them up. (12/07/2005)

By Joyce wis