Storing Hedge Apples?

I know I read that hedge apples last 2 to 3 mo., how can you make them last all year?

I read somewhere that if you do not cut them, they will not rot. They will merely dry up. Some people also freeze them. Drying any kind of fruit, whether in the sun or with a dehydrator, will also preserve it.

I did not know about this fascinating fruit. Apparently it repels insects, mice, etc. I will have to be on the lookout for this now.

My forward thinking parents built a treehouse in our giant Osage Orange, also called a Beaudarc (pronounced BOW dark) tree. It was an old tree so it had no thorns. It sure had a crop of horse apples. It was far from our house, only threatening the back fence and cows. I have heard the poisonous story, but I never knew of any cow that died from eating one. I have never heard of anti carcinogenic claims, I would like to see more evidence on this claim!

They are stinky, extremely hard, sticky when cut, and smelled resinous, like pine tar, and frankly smelled awful to us as kids, I honestly would never consider eating one at any age! Yuk! The only use we found for them was in civil war reenactments in the back yard! They are as big and nearly as heavy as a cannonball. There is a saying in Texas, when you are skeptical about a belief, "well I think it's horse apples." It is the equivalent of saying that you think it is snake oil being sold to you.

You can freeze them or dry them whole. Don't cut them or they will rot.

Hedge apples are very good to repel roaches!

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceSeptember 12, 2016
🐛
😎
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Storing-Hedge-Apples.html