Storing Makeup

Category Tips
Makeup typically has a shelf life. It may also become contaminated from bacteria and viruses. This page has some suggestions for storing makeup, when to discard it, and some possible methods of sanitizing certain products.

They say to change your eye shadow every six months. I have some favourites I have had for years! Pop your shadows in a sealed bag and pop in the freezer overnight. This will kill off any bacteria and they will be as good as new. I do this about every three months to avoid eye infections.

Source: I heard of this from a TV program.

By Monique from Somerset, UK

Recently, a friend and I were talking about cosmetics. She wanted to know how long I thought some of them were usable before bacteria would set in and make them unsafe to use.

I told her I put mine in the freezer overnight every couple of months. This will kill any germs that have transferred onto the make-up from using them.

This saves me a lot of money. Buying make-up every 3 months or so can get very expensive.

I have family members who wind their lipsticks out and dip them in alcohol. But you can't dip or spray alcohol on everything. I haven't had any problems yet by doing this.

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

Makeup has a shelf life, even if unopened. I put the date I purchase it on the package. This way I use the oldest ones first. This also works with canned and boxed foods.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

If you put your eyebrow pencil in the freezer for a few minutes prior to using, you always make super sharp tips and cleaner lines while it is frozen.

By Della

Health & Beauty Beauty Make Up Tips TipsJanuary 6, 2020
🌻
🍀
🐰

Generated 2020-02-24 09:02:05 in 4 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️