Storing Plastic Bags Using Football Fold

Did you ever make paper napkin footballs when you were a kid? Well that childhood activity has a fabulous adulthood use too. Folding your plastic grocery bags using the football fold will reduce the space you need to store them. Plus it also makes them small enough to have a few on hand in your purse or diaper bag.

1. Lay the shopping bag flat and smooth it out.
  2. Fold the bag in half, lengthwise.
  3. Fold the bag in half again. Smooth it out.
  4. Start at the bottom of the bag, fold the lower left corner over towards the right side, creating a triangle shape. NOTE: By starting at the bottom of the bag, you will push out any air that is in the bag.
  5. Ad

6. Now fold the triangle upward, staying on the right side.
  7. Next fold the triangle over to the left side.
  8. Ad

9. Repeat until you reach the handle end of the bag.
  10. Tuck the handle end into the little pocket that was created.
  11. Ad

12. I previously knotted our plastic bags, as you can see the football fold makes them much smaller!

I had plastic grocery bags jammed so tightly in a plastic bag holder that I had made. I couldn't fit another one into the holder if I wanted to.

My husband and I tried your suggestion and folded all our bags. Voila! I couldn't believe it. Now we can store many more bags. Thanks for sharing your suggestion.

Keep in mind that when you're storing more bags than you can actually use, at that point they can be brought to Walmart and be recycled in the bin that's in the entranceway.