Plant HealthGardening

Suspected Garden Fungus or Mildew Problem

Category Plant Health

I have gardened at this location for the past 40 years with no problems. Last summer (2010), almost every vegetable and flower got a heavy white coating and many died prior to frost. I discarded all of them that I could in the city garbage. This growing season I did not notice as much, but there is a bit of the white on some plants. I sprayed with Captan, which seemed to help, but this was my worst garden in 40 years.

The apricots were totally destroyed, berries and greens seemed OK. The tomatoes are a mess, very slow to form and ripen. Now the late fall fruit is dropping on the ground before turning pink. Many of the other plants including zucchini, peppers, and eggplant are rotting from the inside out before even reaching maturity. I have heard you can sterilize the soil with peroxide and that may help. Can you help me in determining what might be the problem. Thank you.

By Richard

Call your agriculture agent for your area. They can and will tell you how to cure your problem. It sounds weather related. Some fungus problems caused by weather have to work out of the soil. We had it about 8 years ago. It will kill full grown pear trees 3 years later or did for us. Now seems ok but for 2 spots I can't grow trees back. Agent said we just had to wait it out. Not fun!