Tahitian Bird Photos

Category Wildlife
Tahiti is home to many beautiful, colorful birds. This is a guide about Tahitian bird photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
Teheura means the royal red bird of Tahiti. In ancient times only royalty could wear the red feathers of this bird. The king of each village was the only one who could use the red feathers for their costumes. He wore a special headdress made from the Teheura feathers and black and white feathers of the cock.

In times of war to make peace between two villages the king and his royal guards would pay a visit to the opposing king. During the peace talks the king would give an offering of peace. This offering was always the royal red features from the Teheura.

After many years the king of each village gave permission for the Ariio Teheura to wear the royal red feathers. The Ariio Teheura was the highest honor any Ariio could hope for. This person had to show he was worthy of this title.

The Ariio was a group of men and women who went into battle for the king to protect the people of the village. Each Ariio that fought for the village wasn't allowed to marry or have children. Only the Ariio Tehurua was allowed to take a bride and bear children.

One day I was in my office upstairs and heard a thump on my door. When I went to go and see what happened, I found this small Teheura lying on the ground. My boyfriend picked up the small bird and held it in his hands. The bird was in shock and disorientated from flying into my window.

It took around 30 minutes for the bird to come around. Once the bird was able to sit up again on its own, my boyfriend held out his hand to let it fly away. The bird didn't want to leave the comforts of his hand.

Still today on our terrace we see the Teheura come to visit. The Tahitians say once you rescue this bird he is your friend for life. The bird will continue to visit you, land on your shoulders, or allow you to pick him up.

The Teheura bird is also known as the bird of love here on the islands. When the little bird comes to visit, we feel very lucky and happy to see him again. One day we know he will be gone and won't come to visit us again.

Photo Location
Taken at my home in Paea, French Polynesia Tahiti

Comment Like this photo? 2

The Teheiura (Tahitian Red Bird) is extinct. Your picture is of a Crimson-backed Tanager. https://en.wiki … n-backed_tanager

Reply Like this photo? Yes