Food & KitchenShopping

Take a Peek at Corn Before Buying

It's corn season right now. Here's a tip if you don't already know - to get the best corn, you have to take a little peek! Peel a little bit of the corn husk down and inspect kernels to ensure plump and all there.

In the first photo, you can see I came across one that was missing kernels when I was shopping for corn!

Anonymous

The minute you remove the husk the corn starts to convert its sugars into starch I would never purchase/take home a cob of corn that has had the husks opened. Basically anyone doing this in the store is damaging the goods.

I'm sorry but I need to disagree on this "tip". There is nothing more annoying to find the ears half torn open and drying out because other customers don't know how to pick the ears by feel, smell and outward appearance. If you are unsure of your ability to pick a good ear, then select the corn that the store has already shucked and packaged.

Consumer Advice Shopping Food & KitchenJuly 10, 2018
🌻
🎂
🎃