My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

The Bracelet Legacy to a Florence Nightingale

My oldest daughter Angela had lost her home in a horrific fire a few years ago. She picked up the pieces of her life as a wife, mother and an employee of a local insurance company. She rebuilt their lives through organization through her paperwork regarding the fire, insurance claims for the losses that occurred which included the contents of their home, animals, vehicles, etc. She coordinated the demolition of the burned out home and other details regarding the rebuilding of their home life without a home. They lived in a motel room that was small for three people but she created it a "home" for them.

In the meantime, she found a home to purchase and bought that home and began to furnish it with the insurance compensation monies. She shopped frugally to furnish their new home and used her crafting skills to decorate it. She was downsized to unemployment in her job and made the decision to return to college and pursued a nursing career. She was consistent in her studies, frustrated at times, but she had set a goal to be a Registered Nurse.

She befriended some of her fellow nursing students to have study sessions, used all the resources of the nursing program to enable her to succeed and, in May 2017, she recited her Florence Nightingale Pledge in a beautiful, inspirational Nurses Pinning Ceremony. I presented her my high school graduation charm bracelet (I removed my charms from the bracelet). At the time she came out of the room where she was dressing for the Nurses Pinning Program, I presented the Bracelet to her by placing it on her wrist. My sister had presented that bracelet to me because my mother had died three days before I graduated from high school so to pass the legacy of my mother, the Bracelet was presented to her namesake.

My daughter Angela will place the bracelet on the wrist of her daughter when she graduates college, then pass it down to my other granddaughters at the time of their graduation to wear in memory of their grandmother. My daughter Angela will keep the bracelet as a family heirloom. The bracelet is on her wrist she is holding her nurse's oil lamp.

I loved the story. Kudos to your daughter for literally building a life from ashes.

So very sweet. Thanks for sharing and kudo's for your daughter's decision to return to school.

Phoenix Rising. Absolutely beautiful!

I am forever amazed by the strength and resiliance of women, and the women who raised them to be strong and resiliant. Education is a terrific stepping stone, and of course you're proud. Congratulations to you both.

Congratulations to your daughter on completing her nurse's training and schooling. Reading this brought tears to my eyes as I remembered my own pinning ceremony. I have just celebrated my 43rd year of nursing. I wish the very best to your daughter and many years of giving loving service to mankind.

My daughter Angela took her state nursing board exam today, 7-31-17, results in 48 hours, she was very confident because she subscribed to a nursing board tutorial which she studied after graduation, took assessments of her studies, she was prepared for the state nursing board exam..

Congrats to Angela! I'm sure she passed with flying colors.

I received a message from my daughter Angela last night and she passed her State nursing board exam and she said she is a real nurse now. She said it would be nice to be able to wear a blue scrub set instead of a green scrub set, the green indicated nurse extern and the navy blue indicates a registered nurse. I would like to thank everyone for their kind compassionate comments about my daughter's Journey.