Tips For Living Green

We are seeking to go green, totes, food, and other items. Also really cheap, if not free ways to go solar with our home or wind power. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

By ladyward from Las Animas, CO

Answers:

Tips For Living Green

You can make a solar window heater pretty cheap. I've never done one myself because I'm a clueless wonder when it comes to building things. But it doesn't look too complicated. Also maybe get some rain barrels to conserve water. The government is making too much money off the oil companies to get behind solar energy too much. (05/26/2009)

By crunchberry

Tips For Living Green

Grow a garden! (05/26/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Tips For Living Green

Think simple! It's amazing how much you can save (in $ too) by just easing consumption. Don't waste money on a hundred different cleaning products when they're all basically detergent anyway. Vinegar and baking soda cost next to nothing and are very green! I buy big bottles of eco-friendly dish washing liquid and use that as a general cleaning soap. A little in a bucket of hot water goes a long way.

Reuse as much as possible. Coffee cans, glass jars, etc. can be used for storage. Worn-out clothes and towels make good rags and replace paper towels. (05/27/2009)

By Tapestry Lady

Tips For Living Green

Go to www.motherearthnews.com, and search "storm window solar panels". Actually if you check out the Mother Earth News site, you will find a lot of inexpensive ideas for going green. (05/27/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Tips For Living Green

I have not tried this but plan to this summer, it's called Solar Cooking. I've given the site to go to http://solarcooking.org/plans/ You know I don't know why you couldn't use one of the silver panels that you roll out for your car window. There are also recipes on how to cook with a cardboard box wrapped in foil, like baking a cake. You can also cook in a dutch oven on the outside so that you don't have to heat up your home. In the winter I take the hose away from the dryer that goes outside and close the hole off. On the dryer hose i put a knee high around it with a rubberband that way the heat from the dryer stays in the house and doesn't go outside. The knee high catches any extra lint. Hope some of these ideas help. (05/29/2009)

By Spongebobrenee

Tips For Living Green

We use our outdoor clothesline in the spring-fall, and an indoor one in the basement for winter or rainy days. Rarely do I use the dryer.

Garden. Direct your guttering to go into rain barrels to save to water your garden, wash the car.

I have a solar powered battery recharger I got years ago from sharper image. It recharges batteries and my cell phone. I got it to use while camping but now use it all the time. (05/31/2009)

By mom-from-missouri