Cooking With Herbs and Spices

To enjoy the use of seasonings, it helps to know how best to use them. This page contains tips for cooking with herbs and spices.

Here are some tips for using seasonings.

1. Remember that many things can be used for seasoning food. Orange, lemon, or lime juice and zest, raisins, apples and apple juice, vinegar, bell peppers, hot peppers, celery and celery tops, onions and green onion tops can all be seasonings.

2. Don't overdo seasonings. Pick a theme. For instance, you aren't going to need bell peppers, onions, garlic, lemon, chili, basil and oregano in the same dish. The flavors will compete and you'll be wasting. As a general rule, pick three seasonings and taste it. If it needs something else, try to figure out what that is. Don't just dump everything in.

3. If you don't have room for a whole rack of spices, get a few seasoning mixes and use those instead. For instance: Italian, Chili, Lemon Pepper, Garlic or Onion, and Cinnamon Spice (pie spices). For the amount of cooking most busy people do, about five mixes will work for everything.

Whenever I am making a soup, stew, sauce or anything that will need many seasonings, I use the method I pictured below!

I line up on my counter all the spices I will be using. I then take each spice and measure it out and pour it gently into small round piles on top. Then when I am done, I can check that I have used everything I needed for my recipe. It really keeps things organized.
Then everything gets stirred in gently at the same time!

One hour after simmering, I always do a test taste! Then I adjust things like salt, pepper, sugar or garlic! I find this very helpful!

When cooking, shake your spices into the lid of the spice bottle or even your hand (unless it is hot pepper), then add them to your dish. Why not sprinkle them in right over the pot? Here are a couple of good and thrifty reasons:

1) You may accidentally dump a whole bunch in. This can ruin a dish. Sometimes it will pour out more quickly than expected, or the shaker lid may even pop off and all of the contents fall in. Ever tried to dip a few tablespoons of powdered garlic out of a pot of soup? Sometimes the dish can't be salvaged at all.

2) The steam from a pot of hot food can moisten your entire bottle of spice. If you hold the bottle over the steaming food, some of that moisture will be absorbed into the remaining spices. This can shorten the life of the spice, cause annoying clumps, or clog the holes in the shaker lid.

So, just give your desired amount of shakes into the lid or your hand and you can avoid the potential loss of expensive spices.

I would like to find an herb and spice chart.

By KK from Kinmel Bay

Answers

These are free on line printable charts:
www.chef-menus.com/herb_and_spice_chart.html
www.healtheducation.caltech.edu/.../Herbsandspiceschart.pdf

Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesDecember 31, 2012
🐛
📓
🌻