Tonkinese Breed - Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
These beautiful, good natured cats are a cross between Siamese with Burmese. This guide contains Tonkinese breed - information and photos.

Breed Description: The Tonkinese is the result of crossing the Siamese with the Burmese. This medium-sized cat is medium-bodied in every way. It is neither long and svelte like the Siamese, nor rounded and cobby like the Burmese, but somewhere in between. This cat is quite muscular and surprisingly heavy. Its head is a modified wedge, with a slight dip between its almond-shaped eyes and prominent whisker pads. The Tonkinese has a short, glossy coat that is soft and silky to the touch.

History & Origin: In the United States, the Tonkinese and the Burmese can both be traced back to Wong Mau, a small brown cat imported to California from Rangoon (Burma) by Dr. Joseph Thompson in 1930.

Character & Temperament: The Tonkinese exhibits characteristics from both the Burmese and the Siamese-most often the Burmese. Although it can be willful and mischievous, it is good-natured, friendly and gets along well with other household pets. This breed is very good with children and has a quiet, pleasant voice that is seldom heard. Clever, active, and intelligent, the Tonkinese needs a lot of companionship and does not like to be left alone for long periods.

Colors: Three distinct coat patterns, mink, full-body, and pointed-that come in four different colors: deep brown, blue, champagne and platinum.

Coat Type: Medium-short in length and lying close to the body.

Color: This breed's short coat can is easy to maintain with weekly brushing. Claws should be trimmed and ears cleaned only when necessary.

Health Considerations: Prone to upper respiratory diseases as kittens; sensitive to anesthesia and vaccines.

Trivia: Although relatively new to the United States, the Tonkinese was depicted in "The Cat-Book Poems" of Siam during the Ayudha period (1258-1767).

Does anyone know anything about Tonkinese kittens? If so, can you tell me if my kitten is one? Also, he still doesn't meow. Thank you.

By Beccaann from Niles, MI

Answers

He sure looks like the two Tonkinese I adopted, and the 6 more one of them ended up having! God Bless, Sheila in Decatur, IL

http://www.goog  amp;oq=&aqi=

I googled them and got all the info you need. Some cats, like maincoon's don't meow. They coo more like doves. You have a wonderful critter there, so enjoy.

Anonymous

I don't know anything about Tonkinese but do not worry if your kitty never meows :-) I had a Persian once who made a little squeaking sound when she tried to meow and it sounded so cute :-) She lived to be fifteen and that was just her way of talking :-)

Oh, and hello to you and all in Niles :-) I have lots of cousins there and in Cassopolis ;-)

Thank you to eveyone that replys. The kitten was found in a cold air duct about 3 weeks of age, there was 3 of them and was the only one that made it, and he is doing really good he is about 12weeks old now and his name is Lucky.

What a cutie! My Maine Coon doesn't really meow. She will make a warbly sound if she is locked in a room or out of food or something but she is mostly quiet. It sounds like this is common.

A Tonkin is a blocky, small Siamese cat, different from the standard, wiry Siamese. I had a Tonkin many years ago, she lived to one month shy of 21 years. she meowed pretty much normally. This looks like a shaded silver tabby to me. GoogleImages that name and look at the pictures, some look a lot like yours.
I still have my big cat ID books, and they show Tonkan's which are more like the Siamese in build, so I have seen both very blocky Tonkan's (like mine) and rather streamline ones-but not as streamlined as a Siamese.
If you GoogleImages Tonkin cat, one webpage shows up. Tonkinese cat may do better.

We are owned by 4 cats and have one who visits. one moans-a Norwegian Forest cat. Had him 3-4 years before I ever heard him say "meow", and he hasn't said it since. Sounds just like a moan when he talks. His partner in crime, a mirror image of him but with Siamese ancestry, also doesn't meow. He chirrups. brrr'p! brrr'p!. A tabby marked calico who died 3 years ago either said "Ma-Ma" or Mow-Mow", or talked a blue streak. she had a huge vocabulary. but generally she just said "Ma-Ma". we have a big, burly orange tabby. he squeeks. He talked like a tom before we fixed him, but when they talk about men speaking in a higher octave, it sure happened to the orange tabby.

And we have a teensy, tiny torti-point Siamese. she "crickets" when she's content, (sounds like a little cricket has got into the house), and she also squeeks and also meows like she has larengitis, "maaahh" soft and raspy. there's a tabby point tom next door who talks like a standard tom (deep and throaty) though he's fixed. it may be based on breed, Calico's often talk funny. Siamese are loud and insistent. a cat that doesn't talk? I've had some quiet ones, including our moaner, but never a silent one. I've heard of one, perhaps a Turkish Van? not sure.
I have seen/heard of some wonderful silver tabbies.

Which reminds me, each breed has it's own personality. for instance, orange tabbies are truly great lovers and will gladly become your best friend, and black cats are truly stubborn. "no" is not part of their vocabulary unless they say it. if you say it to a black cat you might as well have said nothing. as long as the two of you understand and accept this, the black cat is as wonderful as any other cat, but they will own you, not the other way around! lol!

Our cat is a white & has a black tail, and 2 grey spots. Blue eyes also. He didn't talk or Meow at all unless he is afraid or hurt. This didn't happen until he was over a year old. Now that he is 7 yrs old, he will look at you and like he is asking a question, make a small noise. He is very healthy and loving.
There is no need for him to talk as he is very spoiled. Your kitten is a darling, even if he never meows, he will communicate with you.

I had a Tonkinese once. It sure looks like one. My cat used to be very vocal, though. When I talked to him he would say "MEOW!" (Very loudly) He was so loveable and followed me everywhere. I wish I could get another one. You are so sweet to rescue him.

We've taken in a beautiful stray Natural Mink since moving to a new location here in Thailand. Not surprisingly, she soon attracted at least one male "friend". She just had her first litter, 3 lovely kittens - white, brown, and a brown/black/white tiger. The father is a common mixed-breed, healthy and strong.

We can't find genetic information on cross breeding a Tonkinese with a mixed-breed. Will all, some, or none of the kitties retain the Tonkinese (Himilayan?) genetics? We are hoping for all of them having the lovely blue-green eyes which I understand the Natural Minks all possess. I am trying to locate a male Tonkinese but until then am trying to understand the genetic features for cross-bred Tokanese and mixed-breed. Thank you.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Monkey is a 5 year old Tonkinese cat. I got him about 5 years ago. My friend had a yard sale and I went over to help. After a large group of shoppers left, we noticed a tiny kitten that someone had left behind. It was sitting in the driveway. I picked it up and noticed it was covered in fleas, starving and very very small. I didn't want this kitten but it just grew on me and those eyes said save me.

For several months we had to locked him in another room while eating anything. He would just climb up your legs and eat whatever was in the plate. Now he's happy just to eat cat food and doesn't like to eat anything else.

He likes to sit on our patio roof and just watch the day go by. He likes to comb and pull on wet hair. I have to wear a towel on my showered hair or I get groomed. He's still a little strange in some ways. He now lets me touch and pet him which was a big no no for a few years.

By Gisela

Comment Like this photo? 11

KoKo is about 9 months old. I think she is half Persian and half Tonkinese. I got her in mid August 2009 from a lady trying to get rid of her friend's unplanned kittens. A passing tom had his wicked way with her Tonkinese!

She likes to follow me everywhere. Tries to eat anything including any unfortunate spiders or flies she comes across. She swipes the Christmas decorations on the tree and watch me eat. She has not got a mean bone in her body. She never gets angry or bad tempered. She is friendly with everyone.

By Sarah from Reading, Berks, UK

Comment Like this photo? 5