Transfering Photos to Fabric

Category Fabric
Craft stores sell iron on transfer paper intended to be used in applying photos to fabric. The paper is suitable to use with your home printer. You can also try the freezer paper method and print directly to the fabric.

I recently got married and I want to make a memory quilt. We had everyone sign fabric swatches, but I'd also like to include pictures as well. How do I transfer pictures to fabric?

Kimberley S. from Hanover, PA

Answers

Best Answer

You can buy printable iron on transfer paper at the store. Just scan in a picture then print onto the special paper, cut and iron. (Follow any special instructions that comes with the package) Super easy and a great family project.

Best Answer

The transfer paper can be bought at a fabric or craft store. I bought the kind that is for copiers. I had Office Max print the pictures with their copier and using my transfer paper. You cannot have them copy pictures taken professional though unless you get a signed release from the photographer. So if you do it yourself with your laser jet printer you will have to buy transfer paper specifically for laser jet printer.

I had digital pictures of my own and did not want to use up my ink. It's not that hard to do. Sometimes the picture does not all get transfered. So if you see that happening you can gently lay the paper back down and reiron that spot over again. All the instuctions are on the box.

Best Answer

You can use freezer paper, iron the shiney side to a piece of fabric, I find that light beige or white fabric works best (it probably depends on you printer)insert the freezer paper in the paper drawer & put the picture on the window or print from your computer. I've been doing this a lot & it is much cheaper than buying the special paper from the craft stores.

I am totally a "printing words or poetry on fabric for dummies!" person. LOL
How do I print my poem on a scarf or any fabric? Please provide details as simple as possible because I am clueless in this field.

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

You'll need a computer/mobile device (as long as they can access a printer) and iron on transfers:

www.walmart.com/.../10353058?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId...

You could also have a company do it for you but it's cheaper doing the iron on transfer. Just make sure you read the packaging on the transfer to make sure your fabric qualifies for a good iron-on.

Best Answer

You can use an iron-on transfer. If you have many to do, it may be cost and time effective to have a company do it.

I used Print 'n Press Iron-On Ink Jet Transfer and followed the instructions. Unfortunately when I peeled back the paper only a small portion of the picture transferred to the fabric. Any suggestions on what I may have done wrong?

By Donna from Brunswick, GA

Answers

Best Answer

I have found that if you iron the transfers on a padded ironing board it doesn't work as well as you need a harder surface. I take a board the width and length of the t-shirt and about 1/2 inch thick. Cover is with a pillow case and then slip the shirt over the covered board, centering it and smoothing it out. Iron on med-low heat (or as indicated by the instructions) in circular motions ironing small sections at a time for 15 seconds. Go over the entire transfer again to complete the amount of time in the instructions, usually 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure to press all curves and edges well. This method has worked well for me. I have made several t-shirts like this and they have turned out very nice.

Crafts FabricNovember 21, 2019
🎄
🍂