Treating Skin Rashes

Category Home Remedies
A skin rash can develop from a number of causes such as allergies or contact with an irritant among other things. This is a guide about treating skin rashes.

One of the best treatments around for really bad rashes and skin irritation is liquid Maalox, the stuff you use for indigestion. When my friend was in the hospital ICU, she had horrible, uncontrolled diarrhea and bed sores, which literally left her skin raw and bleeding. The nurses dabbed liquid Maalox on the skin, and it healed faster than anything.

She later tried it on her baby's diaper rash, and it worked great! And it's much cheaper, faster, and more effective than ointments. She told her pediatrician about it and he said that he did that with his kids too. He said that if they have really bad irritations to dab on the Maalox and let them air dry.

By Jackie from GA

When I have allergic rashes and all else fails for relief, I use cold black tea compresses! This is especially good for around the eyes where most other remedies are too harsh! Good for under eye circles in a pinch, too.

By Pam from Los Angeles, CA

Place the leaves and flowers of a handful of St. John Wort in a glass jar, just cover with olive or almond oil. Let stand for 1 month, strain and use as a compress to treat rashes and inflammations.

By Suzanne S.

I think I may have developed a skin allergy to coffee. Has this happened to anyone else out there? I'll give it up if I have to but I'd rather not! Food allergies are hard to isolate, so it could even be something else. My doctor says it's dermatitis and there's pretty much nothing I can do about it. I don't like that answer very much and am willing to eliminate foods if it seems reasonable that they could be the cause.

Lyndsay from Albany, NY

Answers

Your doctor says it's dermatitis and you think it's coffee. What makes you think it's coffee? Surely you ingest a lot of other things during the day. My dad developed a very disgusting rash on his arms and part of one leg. Later it moved around his underwear area & the other leg. The dermatologist said it was either dermatitis or lichen simplex and gave him a soapless skin wash and some kind of salve. Sometimes a doctor just doesn't know what's wrong. I do know that you can develop allergies at any time of life. An allergist would probably tell you to eliminate any suspected foods or drinks for several weeks and then reintroduce them back into your diet one at a time and see if one might be the culprit.

I'm allergic to gluten/wheat, dairy and eggs, and I didn't have dermatitis, I had boils (which are not fun!). My best friend has a skin allergy reaction when she eats tomatoes. Eliminate coffee for 2 weeks (acquire a taste for English Breakfast Tea, which is delicious with cream and sugar) and see if your skin clears up - if it does, it's the coffee, if not, it's something else. If that happens, start eliminating things you eat every day (wheat/gluten, dairy, tomatoes, nuts, etc) for 2 weeks each until your skin clears. Good luck!

I'm thinking coffee because I realized after eating high acid foods it is worse. So I began keeping track of what I eat every day, and coffee is the only acidic thing I have every single day. I just wondered if anyone else out there has discovered this too.

An allergist can test you to see if coffee is indeed the culprit. Don't stop with your regular doctor, ask for a referral to an allergy specialist.

Here's a really good link on dermatitis, etc.

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/

Anonymous

The most definitive test for delayed food allergies is blood test called the IgG ELISA test.

Most people have delayed reactions to foods they are allergic to versus the immediate reaction to single foods that often can be life threatening. Think peanuts, eggs, strawberries and the like.

Delayed food allergies can be persistent and annoying and take a toll on your health.

This test can be done by independent labs via mail as well as through your doctor. It's expensive, but most insurance companies will cover it. Also, labs offer a choice for the number of foods tested, usually 48 or 96 foods.

Hope this helps.

There is a skin rash some people get from eating gluten. You might check out celiac.org and see if it tells about it on that site.

I have heard of other coffee drinkers complain about a rash however, it ends up that it is what they are placing into the coffee. Do you drink it black or not. My bet is you do not.

I believe that dermatitis can be caused by coffee. My brother discovered it by accident. He had terrible itchy patches on his hands, and all the creams rx'd by the doc didn't help much. One day for no specific reason he decided to quit coffee--skin problems dissappeared. My father also had the same cronic problem (he drank it black), but passed away before my brother found his cure.

I think its coffee. Sometimes my skin gets red blemishes and spots when I drink coffee. If I dont drink acidic drinks (Coffee and Softdrinks) I get clear skin.

For anyone researching something similar in the future, I am down to one cup of coffee weekdays, and none on the weekends, and it definitely has made a difference in my skin. I am almost totally cleared up. To Shellee who suggested English breakfast tea many thanks! I've tried a couple of different brands and found one I like best. With a little sugar and cream it reminds me of the first tea I ever had as a little girl. Delicious!

juz wanna check. could coffee possibly cause outbreaks? i.e. acnes and pimples on face?

I'm wondering if Lindsay ever found out for certain whether her skin problems were from coffee. I am suspecting the same thing myself. I have been diagnosed with eczema / psoriasis and I'm trying to find out where it is coming from. It is all over my hands, legs and arms. I love coffee, but if that is the cause, I like English Breakfast tea enough.

No, I never was "officially" diagnosed as I have neither the time nor money to keep going to doctors. I like the Bigelow tea the best. Funny thing is, eczema and psoriasis are not the same thing, and that is what I was told. Could be either one. Also Gold Bond Healing lotion works really well at healing up the wost of it. I'm all clear now and it is wonderful!

Absolutely you can develop a skin rash by drinking coffee! I've seen it on my own face! People are just too addicted (including myself!) to want to admit the truth! When I stop drinking coffee for just one day, I can see and feel my chin rash settling down. As soon as I have my cup or two, my chin starts to burn! You don't have to have a Phd to see the writing on the wall!

I'm living in Hungary. For years I did not know why those strange rashes appear on different places on my body(like acne or days later mild eczema, inflamation, at my armpit, upper leg part inside and underwear area). I realized that it is caused by some food or drink and I started to watch my daily diet. And yes, after half a year of checking my diet and the skin reactions I found out that it is caused by coffee. Most of the coffee causes those symptoms for me(100% arabica ie. all brands that I tried). but there is one Hungarian brand which doesn't. It is interesting and I do not know why, probably it's coming from few added chemicals, additives when they grew the coffee beans or something. So watch your coffee.

We have a coffee allergy in our family: we get very itchy rashes with blisters and flaky skin. My grandad got it on his arms, hands and feet, my dad on his feet, my aunt on her hands, and I get it on my feet. In all of us, it didn't start appearing until we were about 35. Luckily, I've never really been a coffee drinker, though I'll have a cup or a few sips occasionally. I've found the severity of the symptoms vary w/ different coffees, some give strong symptoms, others more mild. Even mocha ice cream and coffee liqueur has given me strong symptoms.
I don't know if this helps any, but good luck in your search!

So, which is it? Maalox or Milk of Magnesia? Do both work on skin irritations?

By Barb C

Answers

I have heard that it was MOM to use, I guess for the magnesia portion. Maalox may have the same ingredient. I am sure that the chalky effect when it dries helps as well.

Maalox. It is an anti acid. MoM is a laxitive. Not good for your skin.

Milk of Magnesia is great for "troubled skin" (acne). Apply it, leave on a few minutes and wash off. Maalox is best for skin irritations or scrapes and scratches to speed healing. So both for the skin, but for different purposes. I have used both and had great results.

I've had a reddish rash on my ankles for months. It doesn't itch, but it burns in bed at night. It looks like I've dipped my legs in red dye. Sometimes there are bumps that show up. I've been to a dermatologist and she's given me cortisone cream, but it hasn't helped. Anyone else experiencing this?

I am about to graduate middle school in a couple of days and I have a rash/red spot on my nose. I need it to come off immediately. What is a remedy? Please help ASAP!