Update a Sheath-Style Dress
You don't have to throw away your favorite sheath-style dress just because you outgrow it. All things old can become new again with a bit of imagination.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 yd complimenting scrap material
- 1 scissors
- 1 matching thread
- 1 sewing machine
- Cut the sheath dress from the bottom hem to the bottom of the arm hole on both sides of the dress. The front and back will be connected only by the shoulders.
- Cut a strip of complimenting material the length of the dress from the arm hole to the hem, leaving enough extra to hem the top and bottom. The wider the material strip, the larger the dress will fit. Hem the top and bottom of the strip to prevent fraying.
- Turning the dress inside out, simply sew the material strip to the front and back panels of the dress creating a new side panel. Do the same for both sides.
- Trim the inside seams and press flat.
- Turn the dress right side out and you're done!
When I altered my v-neck sheath dress, the neckline became too low. I simply attached a panel of the side material to the front as well. I've never received more compliments on a "home-made" dress.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!